HDD not detected

Sgt.Igneri

n00b
Pretty simple problem:

Just got a seagate 120gb hdd. Right now i have a maxtor 80gb SATA drive. I was having problems with the maxtor and i wanted to get a new HDD and transfer all the files. So, when i boot up the new HDD is not detected, Ive tried to manually detect it through BIOS but nothing. I would think i would have to set it up as primary slave.. but i dont know because my master drive is SATA (btw my mobo is an abit is7-g) Ive also put the jumper as cable detected and as master. Help would be appreciated.

So you are also installing the OS onto it as well? And is that where the problem is coming?

And it does detect it in the BIOS right?

If installing XP, try again, and hit F6 and use the DISK that came with it.
Or when it tells you it can't find a drive and what not, its really a "lie" as you can continue, and get to the format screen where your drive will be found and can be formatted.

If you are not Installing XP and the drive is not showing up in Windows Explorer, then check Device Manager and see if the drive is seen there. If it is, then get the drivers/new drivers.

If it is not seen in Device manager, make sure everything is plugged in!! :D

The problem is that BIOS doesnt detect the new HDD. Since my current HDD is SATA and the new one is IDE would i need to set both as master?

Ohhh! Well I guess I didnt understand. Thought the Seagate was Sata. But I suppose that doesn't matter.

The IDE ain't showin up right? This happened to me as well. OS Wouldn't boot from IDE instead of sata. Blah.

Try the following:

Remove the SATA and your IDE should be found.

Set your IDE to Master and Slave your SATA.

Boot...

Doesnt work, i just disconnected the SATA and booted up the IDE as master and its still not detected auto or manually.

Are you sure you have everything plugged in right?

Return the Drive...?

im getting sick of this, i got another one and it still isnt detected. Both drives are set for master, and i get nothing.

first off, you should never set cable select. second only use cable select if you have such a cable that supports it. third you do not configure sata drives, since it is point to point they are always master. use rule one all the time about cable select-period.

now, if the cable is proper, length, ends, etc., if not then use proper cables. the maxtor should be connected to sata 1 or 2 (NOT 3 OR 4). this is the sata connection to the ich5r not the sencondary logic on the lower part of the board. look in you manual pg. 1-4. next you need to set the correct mode of operation for the ich pg 2-24. in enhanced mode you need to set the raid rom to enable or disable if you use raid ready or not pg 3-12. this is when the driver will need to be installed for the ichr (F6 when prompted to install mass storage driver, use the matrix drive 4.5, for raid ready since you are using one drive. note, nothing else is needed to be installed not even the intel raid utility for windows, unless you plan to migrate to raid hence, raid ready). you need to set boot priority for the drives pg 3-7. if they are not indentified here then it will not boot. you may need to do a restart after the setting have been enabled in the bios to select the device. e.g. enhanced mode to enable booting to sata drive. note 3-12 to 3-14.

the problem is that you are unfamilar and most likely did not give a read on how to install properly. read the manual and connect properly. all will go smooth when conencted and enabled in the bios. this could be as to one reason why you are observing issues with you sata. however, even in legacy compatibility mode you should not have issues.

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/CS-012543.htm

wait let me say it just one more time..

im NOT having problems with my SATA drive, its been hooked up for a YEAR. ALL I WANT TO DO IS ADD THE IDE DRIVE.

Right now i have a maxtor 80gb SATA drive. I was having problems with the maxtor....

i understand this, however, you are not understanding what i have posted. there is a direct relation to the mode of operation, native (enhanced) or compatible (legacy), for the ich5r and your issues. i made reference for correct sata installation and bios settings. as i said you need to read your manual. i marked the pages that contain your answers. note: this is the proper method for installing a single sata and pata to the ich5r. the rest is up to you.

Back