HDD not detected

jrason7

n00b
I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard which has 10 sata slots, and from my understanding i should be able to use all of them for normal non-raid use. But the thing is Windows 7 only detects my hdd when it is on 6 (blue slots ) of those 10 slots but not 4 (white) other slots. But bios does detect hdd on all 10 slots.

This is explanation of the 10 sata ports by Hardwarecanucks.com
"The four white SATA ports are capable of RAID 0/1/JBOD and are controlled by two JMicron 322 storage processors. The six blue ports come from the ICH10R southbridge and support RAID 0/1/5/10."
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...yte-ga-ex58-ud5-x58-motherboard-review-5.html

Why does windows not detect 4 whits ports and how can make windows detect the HDD when im using the 4 white slots which is detected by bios ?

I checked disk management it does not show there either. I ran out of empty ports so it would be great to utilize all 10 ports.

You still have to enable the Jmicron and set it to ACHI mode to use the ports.

Ha, i didnt know that. How do you enable JMicron ?
I remember i did enable ACHI for SSD though a while ago, do i have to enable it separately for each hdd..

I used to have an x58 ud3, but I don't remember

just poke around in the bios, you'll find it

Still didnt figuere this out..Cant find any JMicron setting to enable in the bios. Maybe i have to install a jmicron driver first? I found a driver on jmicron site but dont know if is right or how to installed properly, since it is .sys files and not .exe file ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw

Last edited:
Is there 2 jmicro controllers in your device manager in control panel? Or any devices with missing drivers?

No, I dont see any devices missing driver in the device manager. All controller under IDE ATA/ATAPI list seem to be okey, but i cant find or identify JMicron in the device manger. It should be there right or is it under another name perhaps ?

This will enable the controller and put it in ahci mode for you. You should then see a a controller menu pop up. Will look just like a raid menu. Then you should see the driver{s} listed in the menu. boot into windows.

* Integrated Peripherals
* Onboard SATA/IDE Device {enable}
* Onboard SATA/IDE {enable} & {AHCI}

Is the hard drive listed in available disk drives in device manager? you may just need to format it or assign it a drive letter in disk management (in computer management administrative tool)

No, the hdd is not found in the device manager, nothing wrong with the hdd btw.

This will enable the controller and put it in ahci mode for you. You should then see a a controller menu pop up. Will look just like a raid menu. Then you should see the driver{s} listed in the menu. boot into windows.
Okey I will try this when i get home later.

I have a Gigabyte board (MA790FXT-UD5P) that has the same 10-port SATA configuration that includes 2 x 2-port JMicron 322 controllers. I run harddrives on all of them.

As someone previously said, make sure the ports are enabled in the BIOS. Also go further into the options for these ports and make sure that the 2 ports on each controller run separate drives (they might default to some kind of Gigabyte "backup" arrangement, which is cloning drives on each of the two ports, or RAIDs them).

You HAVE to run the JMicron storage driver for the controllers if you want separate access to all drives . Each of the two controllers uses the driver's port multiplier to get two ports. If you use the built-in Windows AHCI driver, you will only see one drive (or none).

I use the most recent JMB36X driver from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Back