HDD keeps dropping during windows install..please help

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I've been having some problems with my computer lately (PC in sig, not OC'd). The problem was the computer kept freezing. When I reset the computer without shutting it off, it would show me that one of the ports that connects to the hard drive isn't detecting a one of the drives in the RAID setup. This would be shown in the Intel RAID panel during boot. I would have to shut off the computer to kill power and then turn it on again for it to be detected. I'm trying to install onto 2x 74gb raptors which are in RAID 0. I have even went as far as to warranty the 2 drives, no go. I'm currently in the process of trying to install win 7 to just one of the drives, I'll update this thread when finished.

A week ago, I thought I figured it out. My conclusion was the memory, since I was running the 4 sticks of memory at 4-4-4-12 at 2T with a quadcore. I assumed that it was being overloaded and the 4sticks was one of the common issues as far as stability. Well I got errors in memtest, but I've tested the timings of 4-5-4-12 at 2T and it's 100% stable after 10 passes in memtest, so I think I'm good as far as that goes.

This actually fixed the problem for about a day, but now it's back. I've been working on this problem for at least a month and I've finally decided to find help with this issue.

The Raid Controller message that I receive when the hard drive drops is the following "Reset Port Error"

Currently I have the following settings to cancel out most variables:
FSB: 266mhz
Multiplier: 9
CPU: 2394mhz
CPU:RAM: 1:1.5 (798mhz memory)

Voltage:
CPU Core: 1.3 (stock; 1.3 will take me to 3ghz easy, so I assume it's enough)
DDR2: 2.2
NB: 1.29 (stock 1.25)

I have ICH 1.05V and ICHIO 1.5V that I can mess with. I think if I boost some more power to the controller, it should hold. Weird thing is, I think this is a hardware failure since it's been fine until now. Nothing is right now.

Memory Timings:
5-5-5-15 @ 2T DDR2 800 (spec'd at 4-4-4-12 @ 1T)

I'm in search to an answer of what's going on, if anyone has anything in mind. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:
I'm trying only 2 sticks (2GB) currently and it seems to be installing fine so far.
Spoke too soon, install has been paused at 9% for the past 10+ hours.
I turned on BUS MASTER in BIOS, we'll see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Have you rigorously tested the drive?

I have even went as far as to warranty the 2 drives, no go.
You mean you sent both drives back or WDC did not accept your RMA request.

No, they replaced the drives. I meant that it didn't fix the problem. Sorry for the confusion. I have not fully tested the drives other than the WD drive tests. Will test again when I get home. Currently, I'm suspecting that the RAID controller is failing.

Problem solved :D It was the power connector going to one of the drives is faulty

Here's how I fixed it:

I tested everything with a win 7 install. Memory was set to loose timings with only 2x1GB. I put the cpu and fsb back to stock with a small bump in voltage just in case.

I tested the raptor drives in RAID 0 because I didn't have the F6 disk for AHCI. Anyways, it kept on failing 3% or 12% even 59% during install, never fully finished.
So I decided to try to install win 7 on my raid 1 WD Cav setup of which I made raid 0 for testing. It installed fine.

I took the sata connectors from the Cavs and plugged them into the raptors to test the connection from the cable or controller. It failed.

So I knew it was the drives or the connection from the power. As the second test failed, it showed me the Reset port error again and I noticed it was the second drive that was failing during install.
I then changed the power connector to a different sata power connector and Voila! Works like a charm. Now to try it with 4GB.

I'm so happy I got this fixed as I was about to give up on this computer.

Back