• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDD imaging question...

AlexStenka

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
1,314
Ok, so I was overclocking my 1090T got it up to 3.8Ghz from 3.2Ghz which I'm really happy about. By the time I made my overclock stable I got like 5 or 6 BSODS. After the last BSOD I started to hear a slight clicking sound coming from my PC case, right away I assumed it was my new 1.5TB Hitachi drive going bad on me from the constant BSODS, or maybe its the motherboards voltage regulators going crazy, after messing with Vcore so much, to get my OC stable. So after that I decided to Image my OS install using Windows back-up. My question is, if I get a new HDD and put the image of my old HDD on my new one will the performance still be the same, or em I better of doing a clean install of Windows. The win7 install that I imaged is about 3 months old, and has about 40 games installed on it that I really don't want to install all over again, but if its at the cost of speed of my computer then I rather do a clean install. So do you loose speed with imaging over a clean install? I really don't want to install everything all over again. :confused:
 
If you made a complete image of the drive, you shouldn't suffer any slowdowns, but that's assuming that you use the same identical drive (brand and model) as before. But then again, that's a simple answer that assumes that you don't have anything (like malware) that would cause system slowdown.

But let's go back to your BSOD issue. What made you believe that your HDD was a factor? Where did the clicking sounds come from? How old (or, rather, new) is the HDD?
 
3 1/2 months old it stopped doing it now but i still want to replace the drive just in case :p think I'm going to get the same brand just a little bit bigger like 2tb. Maybe it was some kind of a fail safe mechanism.
 
Install CrystalDiskInfo and see if it says the drive believes it is in any condition other than Good.
 
Back
Top