• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDD enclosures, any good?

goodgod

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 28, 2006
Messages
77
For my next build and first WC rig, I want to silent my system to a maximum while performing great.

BIP3
DDC plus pump
Acetal GPU block Brass Top
Apogee CPU block
a8n sli chipset block
r1000 3/8" ID tubing
yate loon fans
lian-li v1200b case
silverstone strider 600w psu
coolermaster silent led fans

With all these low sound parts, the only thing I'll be hearing will be my hdd. I was thinking of getting a HDD enclosure because that shuts the hdd sound to almost nothing, like the nexus drive-a-way. (some reviews do say that the enclosure cools the hdd enough and reduce sound)

My other choice would be a HDD water block and enclosure, like the silentstar hdd block, which uses g1/4" fittings, so it fits my setup. Will it restrict much my loop? Should I get something else? I want plain silence (while normal hdd temps), that's all.

Thanks
 
i wouldnt think an external enclosure would make it any quieter... it would just move the sound from inside your case to another place on your desk
 
im talking about internal enclosure actually... the nexus drive-a-way is internal, and the silenstar waterblock/enclosure is internal too.
 
Yes, it would cut down on drive noise (see silentpcreview for other ideas), but any time you add something else to your loop you add restriction and sacrifice SOME performace of the other components...just how much is up to debate.

I'd say go for it, if you're not OCing or anything. There are other devices than the Silentstar, in my recollection, and some may have higher diameter channels.
 
I may be oc'ing a little like for taking a opty 165 from 1.8 to 2.5 ghz and oc my graphic card a little but thats it. Don't you think the big 12.3 rad will do the job well?
 
Back
Top