HDD Disk Read Errors

Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
42
My new 250 GB HD is acting funny. At times it loads WinXP, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I boot the pc it says "Disk read error", and just yesterday my whole Windows system files got corrupted. Is it my HD, or is something else that i'm overlooking going wrong?
 
I recently had two old HD's die out on me the same way. Occasionally it would load up XP, but most of the time it would just disk read error.. I bought new ones, not really sure what to do either.
 
No it's not overclocking. I just put a new 650W power supply in. I didn't think to check the cable, I'll do that soon. And did the new HD fix everything?
 
That can be a symptom of a drive that is headed south. The occasional boot error that increases in frequency over time and is seemingly cured by a reset. I'd perform a backup if you have not already just in case. Just out of curiosity, where did you get the drive?
 
What disk-related events are in your system log?
What does SMART tell you about the drive?
 
I got the drive off of Newegg.com. I kinda figured it was about to die on me, but i'm ticked cause i just got it not evena week ago. And there is no SMART capabilities on the drive. This is the last time i buy a generic HD...
 
Actually i bought a few from there before, but all maxtors. this one i bought was a generic drive, not sure what i was thinking... And ive never had this problem with them either.
 
Back
Top