HDD adapter question - Magnetism?

FenFox

Limp Gawd
My case uses 2.5" drive bays from what I've been told. My case manufacturer (Fractal Design) sent me some brackets (adapters) that allow me to fasten my HDDs down securely with 4 screws instead of 2. I noticed when I aligned the adapters and took my fingers off them to grab a screw driver, they were being pulled toward the part of the HDD you see in the photo. I thought this was unusual as they're not magnetized, but clearly something in the HDD is causing this reaction.

a.) Is it bad for a metal piece or fingers to touch this part of the HDD?
b.) Is it bad for me to use these adapters since it causes some sort of magnetic reaction--which I should add, isn't very strong?
c.) The HDD trays themselves don't exhibit this kind of magnetic pull. However, It's my understanding that you need a very strong magnet to damage HDD data and perhaps there's no reason to be concerned? I doubt this would be strong enough to affect the reading/writing head?

What would you guys do? Added screenshot to show what it looks like after the adapter (bracket) is installed. I'd like to think my case manufacturer wouldn't send me case-specific parts that are harmful to my HDDs.

bfpIE0f.jpg

9Fw5dSw.jpg

I would use the drive without the adapter. The screws at the top of the picture look like they would match fine on the outside.

If you are dead set on using these adapters you can put some black electrical tape on them to prevent it from touching the board.

There are a few very strong magnets in the drive for the HDD actuator it is understandable that it would attract to that area.

Last edited:
yeah, that is going to be the drive head actuator. magnetism strength drops off at an exponential rate though. I would imagine the drive would be built with the expectation it may be installed into a metal cage so I would think it should be fine either way.

I would use the drive without the adapter. The screws at the top of the picture look like they would match fine on the outside.

If you are dead set on using these adapters you can put some tape on them to prevent it from touching the board.

There are a few very strong magnets in the drive for the HDD actuator it is understandable that it would attract to that area.

Ok, it works like this....there are 6 screws total holding the HDD into place. The top screws you're referring to are fastening the adapter down. The middle screws are screwed into the adapter. Without this adapter I can only put 2 screws into the HDD on one end of the HDD which isn't at all secure. That's my dilemma. I have 3x 10 TB 7200 RPM drives and I didn't think it was a good idea to not have them securely fastened because they're being read from 24/7 and I was concerned about vibrations / accidental but firm desk bumps etc. As for putting screws into the side, I don't think that'll work, but I could be wrong.

dAPrQsD.jpg

I was not talking about putting screws in the side. In your picture of the drive with the adapter attached the top black screws that attach to the drive and the adapter look like they can just work on the outside of the grey metal tray making the adapter unneeded. To install the grommets on this top screw you may have to file down a notch to make a little room.

Most other people else where are saying that using the adapters is fine. Though, I can't recall if these adapters are making direct contact with the board. If they're making contact with the board I assume that's bad? Maybe I'll crack open the case again and take another look. But again, I kinda doubt--or at least I'd like to feel that--my case manufacturer wouldn't have sent me poorly designed components that'll mess up my HDDs. I'm probably just over-thinking this and concerned about nothing.

It should be close but not touch. The paint on these also should be non conductive.

Don't worry whether it touches or not, and the paint not being an electrical conductor doesn't matter because magnetism goes right through it. On the other hand, keep any valuable floppy disks away because that strength magnetism can affect them, especially the low density floppies that you cannot see through when you hold them up to strong light.

What are these floppy things you are talking about? LOL you realize any old style floppy disks probably are dead due to magnetic migration. I don't think I have had a floppy disk on any computer the past 15 years

and the paint not being an electrical conductor doesn't matter because magnetism goes right through it

I believe question a was about possible electrical contact between the metal and the hard drive controller board

Back