HDCP stripper

Verge

Supreme [H]ardness
Can we talk about these here? Where can I get a cheap one?

Wanting to stream tv to my garage for a bit and my satellite boxes have hdmi only :(

I've never used hardware, myself... but I used to use AnyDVD HD so I could play protected content on my second display and it worked great.

It's been a while since I looked into it, but IIRC, with HDCP, it didn't use a static key and could be changed/updated.. so using a hardware stripper, you could find yourself unable to watch certain content in the future. Like I said... it's been a while since I had to mess with any of that so my memory is a little fuzzy. I'm sure others will chime in.

Agreed.
The hardware sending and receiving video/audio needs to talk to each other to do HDCP handshaking.
Without HDCP, some hardware may refuse to work together or may decide not to allow playback of HDCP protected HD media.
It can also refuse to allow you to play high definition audio tracks on BD films as they are protected by both HDCP and PAP (Protected Audio Path).

The only one I've used successfully is the HDFury.
It's not cheap but it works well.

To your question about legality: this is currently legal grey area.

It might be cheaper to get a cheap LCD TV or monitor.

I used to have one that did HDMI to VGA that I got from Monoprice and it was brilliant. They stopped selling them sadly(obvious reasons) and I flipped mine on ebay for $50 when I bought a TV with HDMI.

You can find el cheapo ones on Amazon that will do the trick. Normally it has to be one that goes from HDMI to something that doesnt support HDCP and you are golden. However, HDMI to HDMI splitters will also normally strip because they need to feed multiple destinations with a single source. To ensure that the source doesnt go crazy they send a false HDCP handshake.

What kind of input do you have on the TV in the garage, maybe I can help you find something. I had one hell of an experience with everything HDMI/HDCP and DTD when I had my ancient plasma.

Last edited:
That's wierd, u verse boxes have analog outputs, coax, rca and component

Most HDMI splitters/switches strip HDCP.

Just google for "HDCP stripping with HDMI switch"

I used to have one that did HDMI to VGA that I got from Monoprice and it was brilliant. They stopped selling them sadly(obvious reasons) and I flipped mine on ebay for $50 when I bought a TV with HDMI.

You can find el cheapo ones on Amazon that will do the trick. Normally it has to be one that goes from HDMI to something that doesnt support HDCP and you are golden. However, HDMI to HDMI splitters will also normally strip because they need to feed multiple destinations with a single source. To ensure that the source doesnt go crazy they send a false HDCP handshake.

What kind of input do you have on the TV in the garage, maybe I can help you find something. I had one hell of an experience with everything HDMI/HDCP and DTD when I had my ancient plasma.

It has hdmi, but I want to stream video to it, not crawl around in the attic messing with cables that I'll have to change when I want to move my sat reveiver back inside.

Pretty sure with vlc you can broadcast as well so I could stream to multiple tvs even. Gonna try a switch somebody pm'd me.

Back