Hd6950 Snowing in 2560x1440

merve0o0

n00b
Hey all.

I am having an annoying problem with my sapphire hd6950. I am getting white pixels flickering all over my screen like snow on an old tv but not as bad. its only noticeable on a black background. I also getting coloured lines randomly.

I am no longer getting the screen going black for 2-3 seconds that i was getting before upgrading driver to 12.10.

this is only happening on my 27" 2560x1440 monitor. my old 19" VGA is fine. if i drop the resolution back to 1920x1080 it goes away. It is working fine after swapping the 27" to the onboard displayport on my z68 motherboard.

I am getting the artifacts in games and on the desktop.

temps on the card according to AMD overdrive are about 40C (104F) all settings are default setting

I am currently running windows 8 RP untill I have the money to get 7 pro

Could be bad quality DL-DVI output from the card or low quality cable. Example Asus 7970 DCII have also the same issues, only then the pixels flicker green. The issue is only revealed when used DL-DVI link with 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 displays. I suggest that you try good quality cable. That got rid of most of my flashing pixels but still is some rare cases I could get them.

Bad card - I had the exact same symptom on my XFX HD6950 except it was red instead of white. Like you, it only happened at resolutions above 1200p. It only happened with the dual-link DVI port, not thru the DisplayPort. XFX argued with me that it was the cable until I pointed out that I have Crossfire and that the cable and monitor worked perfectly on the other card, after that they issued me an RMA and replaced the card.

Ok. Thanks I will probably see about sending it back for RMA. will install windows 7 first just to make sure its not drivers

Ok I got the card RMAed and at first I thought I won as they told me they would send back a 6970 not a 6950.

when i got it i was a little dissapointed as its a reference cooler not the twin fan cooler the 6950 had.

installed it and thought it was working great till it went to sleep.

it would not wake up and BSODed i restarted it it then got stuck in a reboot loop. i removed the card all was good again.

put the card back in all working fine. i then got a few popups saying that the driver had recovered from an error. so i uninstalled catalyst and the drivers, rebooted then installed 12.0 drivers. all was good for a while. then more BSOD's and reboot loops.

i have a 650w psu so should be enough im using the 8 and 6 pin power plugs.

im not too sure where to go from here as when i did my computer hardware training I had a 486 dx2 66

650w is a bit low for CF 6950...

Quallity of PS is also an issue, just cause it says 650w, doesnt mean it is...

Corsair HX650 in his sig, I'm pretty sure it's got enough power. Each 6950 has a TDP of 200W, and I'm doubt he's pulling a full 400W... anandtech had a 6950 CF full system pegged at 500W under load.

I run crossfire 6950s off my Corsair 650, so that should not be the problem.

if its corsair it should be fine, most of their PS are seasonic, which are very high quality.

Yea Sorry PSU is as in sig, Corsair HX650.

it Sucks because there is no way i will get anything resolved till next year now.

I am going to see if there is anyway to get a credit then i will just buy a new card. probably not AMD definitely not sapphire.

its a shame that nvidia are not as good at higher res, because my budget is only enough for a 7950 or 660ti

Back