• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD6950: 1GB vs. 2GB

SphincterBoy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
128
The HD6950 comes in two flavors, 1GB and 2GB. Is it worth the extra $ to get the 2GB model? I currently play CoD:BO and plan to move to BF3 come November (my 8800GTS just died). My current monitor is a 5+ yr. old 20" Dell, but I plan to move to the Dell u2311h (or something comparable) in the near future.
 
Unless you're running an eyefinity and/or crossfire setup not really. But then again it's only $10-20 more so why not?
 
I'd go with the 2gb, in the future even if you're not using all of the memory it will be easier to sell it.
 
2GB can be unlocked, 1GB cannot AFAIK, so that puts a lot of extra room to grow on the 2GB model.
 
You need to point me to the Alt Method of unlocking it. :) Card should arrive tomorrow or tues.

Axe
 
Don't recommend using a 6970 bios to unlock a 6950; there's a chance you will damage the onboard memory due to differences in timings and voltages on it between the 6970 vs. the 6950.

If you unlock the extra shaders (easy now that RBE has been updated with a little checkbox to do just that) you can still OC to your heart's content and don't run that risk. No downside either -- no difference in FPS at the same frequencies vs. a 6950 with 6970 bios.
 
Yea but it's getting harder to find unlockable cards - I went with the MSI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127555 which still appears to be unlockable. Still waiting for arrival....

Axe

I know when I got mine last month the general theory was that if it was 2gb and reference design with the fan near the end of the card it is a very very high probability of unlocking. Does anyone know if this logic has changed at all?
 
2GB because games coming out and using DX11 will be using as much ram as can be with all the stuff turned up.

Just future proofs a bit more. And if you crossfire better make sure the main card has more ram or you will handicap the whole point.
 
I know when I got mine last month the general theory was that if it was 2gb and reference design with the fan near the end of the card it is a very very high probability of unlocking. Does anyone know if this logic has changed at all?

the main checks for ref design are actually..

Marked with AMD by the PCIe connector

Bios Switch by the CF connectors.

Axe
 
Without a doubt go with the 2GB. For the minimal price difference it's the better choice.

What i decided for my wife's rig about a month ago. I haven't unlocked it yet since the games she plays don't demand the horsepower.
 
Back
Top