HD595 + Audigy 2 notebook + amp?

vaca232

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
96
I've got a pair of HD595's (120 ohm) which I've been using with a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook. I know the 120 ohm version of the HD595's can be hard to drive and I've been wondering about a headphone amp.

Would there be more of a difference in sound quality or more volume? The headphones get loud enough right now that I wouldn't want to listen to them at full volume for all that long. This is the nicest headphone setup I've ever listened to personally, so if there is room for improvement apparently I don't know what I'm missing. Would even an inexpensive amp make a noticeable difference? I'd be very willing to buy an inexpensive amp to try things out before I spend more money
 
You should notice a significant improvement in sound quality if you put your 595's through an amp, but if you are okay with how they sound right now, is it really worth it? Amp's can run pretty expensive...
 
To me they sound fine right now, but I know HD595's are pretty capable headphones so I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on a significant difference. I've seen prices for amps and wow, you're not kidding when you say they can be expensive.
 
vaca232 said:
Would even an inexpensive amp make a noticeable difference? I'd be very willing to buy an inexpensive amp to try things out before I spend more money
Chances are...... no..... not until you upgrade your source at the least........
If it were me, i'de look at better headphones and better source first, then better amp. In that order.
Careful though, you start to walk an expensive road once you start going above the HD595 and Audigy 2 zs notebook route. ^_^
 
Back
Top