HD5850 Problem?

Got a question pertaining to my rig in my signature.

As of lately, I have been having issues with my left monitor (which is connected via DVI). It keeps on flickering black, randomly. sometimes it just flashes a few times in a couple of seconds- or at worst, it goes black for about 3 seconds.

Frequency of occurrence seems to be very random as well; several times in an hour, to sometimes it does not happen all day.

It does not matter if i'm gaming, or just surfing the web...

Anyone else have this (or even heard of this) problem before? I have moved monitors around, and it will happen on a different monitor, so I know it's the video-card. Is my card dieing?

I had that happen to my 5850 for a couple of days a few months ago and I thought it was the left LG monitor going out.
I swapped the left monitor out with a 19" Samsung and it went away.
The LG monitor worked fine on another machine I tested it on so I have no idea what the cause of the issue was.
It hasn't happened since.

interesting... I'll look into that #6 later on after work.

Honestly I think this has been a problem since I bought the card, it seemed to not happen as often for a while, or perhaps i'm just beging to get frustrated about it.

I think my card is factory OCd... right now, the GPU clock is at 765MHz, and the memory is at 1125MHz... is that normal?

Got a question pertaining to my rig in my signature.

As of lately, I have been having issues with my left monitor (which is connected via DVI). It keeps on flickering black, randomly. sometimes it just flashes a few times in a couple of seconds- or at worst, it goes black for about 3 seconds.

Frequency of occurrence seems to be very random as well; several times in an hour, to sometimes it does not happen all day.

It does not matter if i'm gaming, or just surfing the web...

Anyone else have this (or even heard of this) problem before? I have moved monitors around, and it will happen on a different monitor, so I know it's the video-card. Is my card dieing?

If its from surfing its most likely flash. Disable hardware acceleration from the flash settings.

If you play any HD video in windows media player like H.264 it will change the clock speeds to use GPU acceleration for the videos.

What you'll wanna do is have overdrive or GPU-Z and monitor the clock speeds. With multi-display setups if the memory clock changes. The image will flicker once.

And if they go to below like 300 which is idle for when a single display is connected it will flicker continuously.

You shouldn't have to mess with any overdrive settings if you have newer drivers I think beyond 10.9.

I would first disable anything thats using GPU acceleration like flash and video players.

Last edited:
NP bro, #6 fixes a lot of issues with the cards, both of the 5xxx series and also those of the first revision 6xxx series, so when in doubt, give it a shot :)

ok... got some questions before I screw something up
this is what the fix in #6 says for a 5850:
<Property name="Want_0" value="40000" /> <Property name="Want_1" value="55000" /> <Property name="Want_2" value="72500" /> </Feature> <Feature name="PowerControl_0"> <Property name="Want" value="0" /> </Feature> <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"> <Property name="Want_0" value="100000" /> <Property name="Want_1" value="100000" /> <Property name="Want_2" value="100000" /> </Feature> <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0"> <Property name="Want_0" value="1000" /> <Property name="Want_1" value="1038" /> <Property name="Want_2" value="1088" />
This is what mine says right now:
<Profile>
<Caste name="Graphics">
<Groups>
<Group name="Overdrive5">
<Feature name="TimeUnlocked" />
<Feature name="OverclockEnabled">
<Property name="OverclockEnabledProperty" value="True" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="AutoTuneSupport" />
<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="15700" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="55000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="76500" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="PowerControl_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="30000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="112500" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="968" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1068" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1118" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="1633" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="50" />
</Feature>
</Group>
</Groups>
<Adapter name="PCI_VEN_1002&amp;DEV_6899&amp;SUBSYS_034E1043&amp;REV_00_4&amp;17D95BD5&amp;0&amp;0018A">
<Aspect name="Overdrive5" />
</Adapter>
</Caste>
<Caste name="Platform">
<Groups />
<Adapter name="PlatformAdapterUDID" />
</Caste>
</Profile>
does that look right? Should I use those values in the #6 fix?
EDIT: I don't know why I cant get it too look nice... but my point is that those values seem to be way higher...

ok... got some questions before I screw something up
this is what the fix in #6 says for a 5850:

This is what mine says right now:
does that look right? Should I use those values in the #6 fix?
EDIT: I don't know why I cant get it too look nice... but my point is that those values seem to be way higher...

The memory clocks need to be the same for all the profiles 1125.

The Cpu clock should be 400 for the lowest and 600 the middle. Keep in mind i'm taking these values with a 5870 in mind.

if you wipe out the drivers completely you shouldn't have to edit it in the new catalyst drivers.

My card in slot one comes w/ a OC of 765/1125MHz while my other card in slot 2 is at 700/1000MHz. What I did was underclocked my 1st card to 700/1000MHz in CCC to match the speed of my other card in slot 2(Per Step #3 and #4). Try and change it to

<Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="55000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="76500" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="PowerControl_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="112500" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="112500" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="112500" />
</Feature>