HD5800 Overclocking tools

utnorris

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 18, 2008
Messages
1,205
Since there seems to be a lot of people asking about various ways to overclock your HD5870 I thought it would be nice for a one stop shop. Keep in mind that flashing your bios with another manufacture's bios or even overclocking your card may void your warranty.

You are responsible for your own actions

Posted from Guru3D:
There are 3 ways to get past AMD clock limit:

1) Get new BIOS from your vendor with extended overclocking limits if possible. AMD allows some vendors to have higher reachable clock limits that others.
2) Use AMD BIOS editors like RBE, some of them are able to override AMD limitations and edit overclocking limits.
3) Use AMDGPUTool, ATITool or RivaTuner. These tools can optionally use advanced undocumented AMD overclocking interface bypassing the limits. However, keep in mind that this interface is incompatible with PowerPlay (so your 5870 will start eating 100+W instead of 20W in idle).
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3293859&postcount=16

MSI Afterburner software
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

GPUz
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

Rivatuner - 2.25 should be the first version to support the HD5800 series
http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

AMD GPUclock tool
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1641/AMD_GPU_Clock_Tool_v0.9.26.0_For_HD_5870.html

ATIFlash
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1650/ATIFlash_3.75.html

Radeon Bios Editor
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1648/TechPowerUp_Radeon_Bios_Editor_v1.22.html

In addition to using the above tools you can also flash your BIOS to the Asus BIOS or MSI BIOS which allows you to go past the 900/1300 limit in most BIOS'
Guide to flashing your bios to the Asus bios to unlock the 900/1300 limit (HD5870 ONLY)
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15021144&postcount=1

MSI BIOS for 1800/2600 limit - I have not personally tried this one.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3307817

The easiest thing to do is to flash your BIOS with the Asus BIOS and then use the MSI Afterburner tool to overclock your card. Afterburner was designed by the same people that do Rivaturner, but I like the interface better, it's simple. Again, this may void your manufacture warranty, so do it at your own risk.

Here is my current highest overclock so far with a Vantage run:

 
Last edited:
Thank You, your post is very timely. My first flash was from an old Radeon 9550 to 9600 Pro. I studied every forum I could find for a month before I flashed my bios. The flash was flawless. Thank you Mr. W1ZZARD, UnWinder, Mr. Wu and all the other TweakMasters out there. Reading is Fundamental.:D
 
actually there is only 2 tools you need.

bios flash and msi afterburner.

those are the only i repeate only tools you need.
 
I studied every forum I could find for a month before I flashed my bios. The flash was flawless. Thank you Mr. W1ZZARD, UnWinder, Mr. Wu and all the other TweakMasters out there. Reading is Fundamental.:D


Legends. :cool:
 
All I use is the Bios Flash and MSI afterburner. The AMD tool gave me all kinds of issues. Hopefully RivaTuner 2.25 will bypass the 900/1300 lock without needing a bios flash.
 
Very impressive. GPU-Z vefirication linky that OC. :)

Single HD5870?:cool:

Thank you. That's a single HD5870.

actually there is only 2 tools you need.

bios flash and msi afterburner.

those are the only i repeate only tools you need.

All I use is the Bios Flash and MSI afterburner. The AMD tool gave me all kinds of issues. Hopefully RivaTuner 2.25 will bypass the 900/1300 lock without needing a bios flash.

Yep, these are the only tools I use too, but I figured someone might want the other tools also.
 
Since there seems to be a lot of people asking about various ways to overclock your HD5870 I thought it would be nice for a one stop shop. Keep in mind that flashing your bios with another manufacture's bios or even overclocking your card may void your warranty.

You are responsible for your own actions

Posted from Guru3D:
There are 3 ways to get past AMD clock limit:

1) Get new BIOS from your vendor with extended overclocking limits if possible. AMD allows some vendors to have higher reachable clock limits that others.
2) Use AMD BIOS editors like RBE, some of them are able to override AMD limitations and edit overclocking limits.
3) Use AMDGPUTool, ATITool or RivaTuner. These tools can optionally use advanced undocumented AMD overclocking interface bypassing the limits. However, keep in mind that this interface is incompatible with PowerPlay (so your 5870 will start eating 100+W instead of 20W in idle).
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3293859&postcount=16

MSI Afterburner software
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

GPUz
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

Rivatuner - 2.25 should be the first version to support the HD5800 series
http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

AMD GPUclock tool
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1641/AMD_GPU_Clock_Tool_v0.9.26.0_For_HD_5870.html

ATIFlash
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1650/ATIFlash_3.75.html

Radeon Bios Editor
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1648/TechPowerUp_Radeon_Bios_Editor_v1.22.html

In addition to using the above tools you can also flash your BIOS to the Asus BIOS or MSI BIOS which allows you to go past the 900/1300 limit in most BIOS'
Guide to flashing your bios to the Asus bios to unlock the 900/1300 limit (HD5870 ONLY)
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15021144&postcount=1

MSI BIOS for 1800/2600 limit - I have not personally tried this one.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3307817

The easiest thing to do is to flash your BIOS with the Asus BIOS and then use the MSI Afterburner tool to overclock your card. Afterburner was designed by the same people that do Rivaturner, but I like the interface better, it's simple. Again, this may void your manufacture warranty, so do it at your own risk.

Here is my current highest overclock so far with a Vantage run:


Nice list!

.
 
furmarkbench.jpg


Crap...I shrank it too small. I set a profile in MSI tool. The readout is as follows:

Votlage 1200
GPU 850
Memory 1200
Fan Manual @ 60, later adjusted to 40%, as the GPU was fine at 40, temp-wise.

The Core can go higher, and maybe the RAM can too, but I'm dealing with a board issue, for now. GPU only test, this thing kills. Games are performing not so well though, and any benchmark that takes board/CPU into account is also not running well.
 
Last edited:
Since there seems to be a lot of people asking about various ways to overclock your HD5870 I thought it would be nice for a one stop shop. Keep in mind that flashing your bios with another manufacture's bios or even overclocking your card may void your warranty.

Sweet Jesus...1.312 on the GPU..:eek::eek::eek:

is that OK for long term....??

hell of a nice overclock though...:)
 
wow nice thread :) I am not a fan of updating the Video card bios. So i think ill wait for Rivatuner 2.25 to come out.

Better to be safe then sorry, Specially with 5870/5850 about as rare as an albino bear.
 
Nice thread, wish I could figure out my crossfire oc :/
 
Back
Top