• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD555 vs HD280 Pro

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2005
Messages
353
Im in the process of purchasing new headphones and I was wondering which setup you would suggest for listening for ROCK music. Heres what I was thinking:

1. Sennheiser HD555 + Onboard Sound
2. Sennheiser HD280 Pro + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)
3. AKG K 81 DJ + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)
4. Audio Technica A55 + Audigy 2 (Possibly ZS, but would that make a difference)

Out of these two options which would you recommend for listening to rock music. Keep in mind that I really liked the sound of the Grado SR60 much more than that of the HD485. Also, when compared to the HD485 and Grado SR60, how much sound do the HD555's leak? Thanks.
 
Like I keep saying, I'de avoid the HD280pro with a limp 10ft stick. It's a case of Sennheiser Design gone wrong (which is a shame).


Sounds like you already decided for yourself.
If rock is your thing, and you already know you like the SR60 much more than the HD485, why not just move up the grado ladder? How about some nice SR125 or SR225?

The grados do rock in a unique way, being that they are fast and don't shy away from the mids or highs ^_^.

I also love rock music, and I just love the way a nice guitar sounds. Grados have impressed me when I demo'ed them and thus I have my eye on some nice little RS-2, or RS-1.

Honestly, get headphones you will be proud of, and will enjoy for years to come. Skip these mediocre headphones and get something decent.

PS: Yes, a sound card will make a difference from most all onboard audio solutions. Most people recommend the X-Fi when its on sale for like 80$us.

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted
 
I have both. I bought the 280s for gaming. Bought the 555's for music. After listening to both for about 6 months now. I always find myself using the 555's.

The confort on the 555's are much better. Not even close. You will forget they are on.

The sound is better...But thats to be expected on open air cans. But by no means do the 280's have bad sound. The 555's are just that good.

The only time I find myself using the 280's are when I am playing a FPS, and absolutely need to hear nothing but the game. They do an absolute kick ass job on removing outside sound. To give you an example...Playing DOD:Source, with the sound pretty much loud as I can stand without reducing the sound quality...My wife had to hit me in the head with a pillow to get my attention, she had apparently been yelling at me that breakfast was ready for almost 30 secs.

Overall...Definately recommend the 555's over the 280s for overall sound quality though. Just remember...These cans bleed badly. Both ways. I DID buy a tin off Ebay BTW. The sound quality was basically the same.
 
Absolutely no one will recommend the HD280s over the HD555s. Unless, of course, they've only owned/heard the HD280s. ;)
 
For what you are looking at doing, and the cans that you listed I would get the Senn HD555's.
the 280 Pros are a great set of cans, however they are high impendance and thus need to be amped to really sound good. That's why lots of people don't like them. So if you buy the 280's be sure to get an amp.

The open design of the 555's will give the cans a much more natural sound than a closed design so the sound quality will be much higher. However, again unamped the 555's may be lacking a bit in the low end so you might want to add a slight bass boost.

But really for what you want to listen to I suggest you get some Grado SR-60's or SR-80's. for rock music they are some of the best in your price range.
 
towert7 said:
Like I keep saying, I'de avoid the HD280pro with a limp 10ft stick. It's a case of Sennheiser Design gone wrong (which is a shame).

HD280Pro is still on Headroom.s Top 10 list:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-application/our-10-best-headphones/

I.m quite happy with mine for both music and games, but then again I needed the isolation and didn.t consider open cans at the time. Have not compared to the 555s
 
Aside from the close vs open issue, the HD555 will be the better choice. I find the HD555 more comfortable to wear and the sound to be more pleasent.
 
The reason im hesitant about the 555's is because I originally ordered the Grado SR60s, and loved them, but had to return them because they leaked way too much. Im worried if I order the 555's the same thing will happen again. Thoughts? Im still looking for opinions about the Audio Technica A55's.
 
I own the HD555 but I have no clue if they leak though. How ever I don't think they are freakishly loud. Reason I say that is when I take them off I hardly hear them. Bad ass head phones no doubt.
 
Pettybone, if you dont mind could you stand about 3 feet away from your 555's and tell me if you hear them.
 
Funky_Junk said:
Pettybone, if you dont mind could you stand about 3 feet away from your 555's and tell me if you hear them.
Yea, the open senn's leak almost as much as the grados.

If this is such a concearn, consider closed headphones for sure.
 
ok on headroom the sennhieser HD-555's are 120 after you get the price quote, and they score a point better then the 280pro's (it gets a 5 instead of the 280's 4). I use the HD-555's and I like them a lot, I use them with an audigy 2 ZS. I would recommend the HD-555's for the price but if I was to get a new pair I would probably get the 595's or the 650's.

-Silent
 
Funky_Junk said:
Pettybone, if you dont mind could you stand about 3 feet away from your 555's and tell me if you hear them.
Yeah I hear them but its not loud enough to wake someone up though.
 
Back
Top