HD555 vs a500

Digital Oxide

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
293
in the market for something I can use in games aswell as listen to music, i've heard good things about both of these headphones, looking to get a final opinion on these, thanks.
 
I can pwrsonally attest that the HD555's are an awesome deal. They're better than my friend's 580's (IMO) and have great response to all frequencies even without an amp (just a SB X-FI using ASIO/Winamp) It even makes games/videos/movies sound markedly better than anything else I've ever had. (HD-280's and Grado SR-80) I haven't heard the other pair.
 
I think the comparison is a little between apples and oranges. The HD555's are a different class than the ATH-A500 cans. A better comparison would be HD555 - ATH-A700 and HD595 - ATH-A900 - Beyer DT770.
 
555s. the a700 airs are probably a little better than the 555s.
 
I can pwrsonally attest that the HD555's are an awesome deal. They're better than my friend's 580's (IMO) and have great response to all frequencies even without an amp (just a SB X-FI using ASIO/Winamp) It even makes games/videos/movies sound markedly better than anything else I've ever had. (HD-280's and Grado SR-80) I haven't heard the other pair.

Weird, because the HD580's have a wider freq. responce. To each his own I guess.

I'm sort of the in the market for the HD555 or the 580 myself. I currently have a pair of the Grado SR60, which are awesome, but the I dont like the 2 thick cords that come down from the ear pieces.
 
I have a set of the HD555s and I returned some DT770/80s to Guitar Center in favor of them simply because I didn't like the closed design and they clamped way too tight. I felt like I was underwater and that they were smashing my skull whenever I had the Beyers on. The comfortability of the HD555s is very high (in my limited experience with high end headphones).
 
Weird, because the HD580's have a wider freq. responce. To each his own I guess.

I'm sort of the in the market for the HD555 or the 580 myself. I currently have a pair of the Grado SR60, which are awesome, but the I dont like the 2 thick cords that come down from the ear pieces.

As a owner of both the HD555 and 580, I strongly recommend the HD580. Unamped, the HD555 wins hands down. But with an amp the HD580 is leagues ahead IMO.
 
As a owner of both the HD555 and 580, I strongly recommend the HD580. Unamped, the HD555 wins hands down. But with an amp the HD580 is leagues ahead IMO.

Well, I'm not a super audiophile and the 555's are alot cheaper on the Egg. Besides, I dun have an amp anyway.
So I've ordered the 555s. Hopefully i'll have em Tuesday.

Thanks for the info though, I should be quite happy with em. :D
 
555s. the a700 airs are probably a little better than the 555s.


You mean the AD700s? :p

(in which case I would take the AD700s because they do everything but the midrange just a little better)


WhiteZero said:
I should be quite happy with em. :D

I think you will find they are a nice upgrade over the SR60s.
Especially for gaming. ;)
 
You mean the AD700s? :p

(in which case I would take the AD700s because they do everything but the midrange just a little better)

Agreed. I am not nuts over the closed AT's, but the open ones are pretty good for the price. Can't go wrong with AD700's.
 
yeah the a700 airs are the open version. comfy, around $100 and have good all-around sound. what's not to like?
 
Back
Top