hd4870 squeel

sabrewolf732

Supreme [H]ardness
Hai,my 4870 makes a noise under any load. This could even be loading images on google, almost sounds like an older hd seeking. Should I rma? I don't get any artifacts.

I get a similar noise when the graphics card comes under load. It's worrying but it doesn't seem to affect anything. I just hope it's not bad and doesn't kill the card as it's not a nice noise.

v-sync...... change it and the sound will go away by 90 percent.

Vsync is disabled in CCC. Pretty sure it's nothing to do with vsync. Does it even with ati tool.

all cards ive had since my 7800gt, 8800gts, and 8800gts g92 ALL squealed during atitool artifact scanner. it just does it. no idea why.

Capacitor Squeal more than likely. It happens randomly with many different cards. Some cards die shortly after it starts, other never have any other issues than the squeal itself. Really not much you can do other than get a new one.

im going to have to agree with xdivenx. It is likely that it is a capacitor. I had this issue with a powersupply that was likely going bad. It is liekly that your video card will go south soon.. might want to get it replaced if you still ahve a warranty

im going to have to agree with xdivenx. It is likely that it is a capacitor. I had this issue with a powersupply that was likely going bad. It is liekly that your video card will go south soon.. might want to get it replaced if you still ahve a warranty

run artifact scanner. if your card doesnt make noise then your card is wierd. if the card isnt loud in games, or isnt making noise in 2d, then its fine.

I'm starting to think my card is going faulty. Only had it since end of August (practically brand new) - should be ok to get a replacement right? It's a Force3D one. Now I'm having funny reboot problems with it. I reboot, the fan stays on full speed and I get no display. I have to switch the PC off and wait a few minutes. This only started on friday night.

The card makes no squeel noises when in 2d or anything, only when the card is full load e.g playing a game or running 3dmark or something. I'm still not sure if this new problem is my graphics card or PSU being underpowered (and on it's way out).

^^ Actually RE: my reboot problem I don't think it is my graphics card I think it's my overclock. Not sure if NB/SB need more voltage or I need a more powerful PSU. Dropped FSB back to 333 from 400, reboots and boot ups are ok now.

i noticed a slight squeel on my card when there's a load. seems to happen when it first gets loaded. then it goes away.

Back