• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD4870 cooling dilemma

That Linux Guy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
306
I've had my HD4870 1Gb since Christmas. The OEM cooler keeps everything in check, but it was too loud. I bought a Scythe Musashi, which was much quieter, and gave better core temps (RAM and VRM temps stayed the same.

I'm trying to make it quieter though. Here are my ideas.

The Musashi features variable-speed (1k rpm to 2k rpm) 100mm slim fans. By slim, I mean 12mm thick as opposed to the standard 25mm thickness. Scythe makes the same fans in standard thickniess, so I was thinking about getting those in the 1k rpm variety.

Or, I was also tossing around the idea of getting an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2 and putting a quiet 12cm fan on it. Would this cool the card enough? I know the RAM and VRMs are a pain in the ass to keep cool on these cards. Any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Putting on thicker fans will increase the static pressure and probably lower your temps. The Accelero might be enough with a fan that pushes enough air, but I don't know if a quiet fan would be sufficient and I personally wouldn't risk it. Also, as you mentioned, cooling the VRMs would be an issue. I would just go with the thicker fans in your position.
 
Thanks so much Zero82z. You've helped me before a couple times, so I figured you'd be along sooner or later. :)

I guess the fans option it is. That's cheaper anyways.

I do have a second question regarding the VRMs and RAM cooling. When I installed the Musashi, I never used the included heatsinks for the RAM and VRM. I kept the large metal plate from the OEM cooler with the bubble-gum cooling pads. Do you think I'd see better temps using the heatsinks, or even getting better copper heatsinks like those from Swiftech or something, or should I stick with the big red plate I'm currently using. With the OEM cooler and the Musashi, my RAM and VRM temps stay at just under 60C.
 
Thanks so much Zero82z. You've helped me before a couple times, so I figured you'd be along sooner or later. :)
You're very welcome :).
I do have a second question regarding the VRMs and RAM cooling. When I installed the Musashi, I never used the included heatsinks for the RAM and VRM. I kept the large metal plate from the OEM cooler with the bubble-gum cooling pads. Do you think I'd see better temps using the heatsinks, or even getting better copper heatsinks like those from Swiftech or something, or should I stick with the big red plate I'm currently using. With the OEM cooler and the Musashi, my RAM and VRM temps stay at just under 60C.
To be honest, I don't know. I suggest you take a look at both and use whichever looks beefier. Your temps seem fine anyway. Buying a new set from Swiftech or something would be unnecessary.
 
I use the Accelero on mine, with a 140mm Scythe Kaze Maru. It stays cool, and best of all, quiet.
 
Back
Top