• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD4850 vs 9800GTX+

JDMs14

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
130
Having a tough time deciding between the two cards..both are in the same price range with relatively similar performance apparently. Both have their downsides with the 4850 running hot and the 9800 requiring a bit more in terms of power.

The 9800 is about $10-15 cheaper..would I notice any major difference between the two? My max rez is 1280x1024 so I doubt that will be an issue.

Any thoughts? Other cards to consider?
 
get the cheaper one

both are about equal

but what type of 9800gtx is available? (evga,xfx,etc)
 
my two cents form another thread
4850
1 PCIe connector
single slot cooler.
low power
direct X 10.1 (not sure about this)
current architecture


9800GTX
2 PCIe connectors
2 slot cooler
mid range power

If you assume equal performance then the question comes down to features. Arguments can be made for and against the ones listed. From a OEM standpoint, or upgrading older computers the 4850 is a slam dunk. for our purposes it doesn't matter so much. (I am sure most of our PSU have at least 2 PCIe cables) I still have to give this to the 4850. I would like a dual slot cooler though. Still my GTX280 is pretty nice
 
Having a tough time deciding between the two cards..both are in the same price range with relatively similar performance apparently. Both have their downsides with the 4850 running hot and the 9800 requiring a bit more in terms of power.

The 9800 is about $10-15 cheaper..would I notice any major difference between the two? My max rez is 1280x1024 so I doubt that will be an issue.

Any thoughts? Other cards to consider?

I wouldn't call the 4850 running hot a downside necessarily. I honestly prefer it over my older, cooler 7950GT since it is quieter. I'm not overclocking it, so I couldn't give a damn what the card temp is. I'll take quiet over cooler temps any day. But if the temp bothers you, you could always do the fan trick that bumps it up to 30-40% fan speed (pretty quiet, but much lower temps). The 4850 also puts out less heat than the 9800GTX does, but not by a big enough difference to really matter.

I'm also running 1280x1024, and I would have to recommend the 4850 for one reason in particular. It has better AA (qualty and performance) than the 9800GTX, plus at 1280x1024 you will find that 24xCFAA is very possible and is a noticeable improvement in IQ. I play almost everything on my 4850 with 8xAA or 24xCFAA.
 
The hd4850 was added to the Apples-to-Apples section of the 9800gtx+ review .
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU1NCw3LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Just like to point out that as the AA levels increase, the 4850 did better and better compared to the 9800GTX ;) I only wish more than one game was tested with 4xAA. Of course, as the article mentions, the apples-to-apples isn't necessarily very representative, as if you just looked at that you might think the 9800GTX+ was better than the 4870, lol
 
Having a tough time deciding between the two cards..both are in the same price range with relatively similar performance apparently. Both have their downsides with the 4850 running hot and the 9800 requiring a bit more in terms of power.

The 9800 is about $10-15 cheaper..would I notice any major difference between the two? My max rez is 1280x1024 so I doubt that will be an issue.

Any thoughts? Other cards to consider?

If you're going to upgrade your Monitor in the Near Future, and depending on what kind of Hardware you have in your System, etc. you might want to explore something more on the Line of an Asus EN9800GT Ultra (Performs as well as a 9800GTX), which would save you money in the Near Term and would most certainly be able to Game at 1280x1024 res with AA turned on, and I just picked one up for about $155 delivered.
I have a Gigabyte HD4850 that I upgraded with an Aftermarket Cooler and it Games really well at 1920x1200, and temps are not a problem for me. I play Crysis, NFS, Grid, MS Flt SimX, AOC, etc, and they are both excellent Cards.

Hardware Canucks just did an Excellent Evaluation on the 9800GT, and the Asus 9800GT Ultra really stood out as an Excellent Performer, going up against Palit, EVGA, etc.
 
But for $155 he is better off getting the slightly faster 4850 than the 9800GT
 
Back
Top