HD4850 for $139.99?

NLW

Limp Gawd
Hilarious. So I ran by my local Best Buy today to take advantage of the deal talked about here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317182

There were 6 available in store, so I grab one and head to the register. It rings up as $199, and I have to argue that the sign in store reflects the sale price, from the add (25% off). The sales girl happily agrees to give me the sale price, so 25% of $199 is...yes, $139.99!:eek: I was out the door, tax and everything, for under $150. Gotta love poor math skills...

By the way, if anyone is in the Columbus, OH area, the Easton store still has 5 of these and Polaris 7, as of 7pm today.

I was out @ 720 and they took them all off the shelves... They said they were going to be back out Sunday after the sale...:mad:

My local BB couldn't find the 4850 cards they got in today, so they say.

First time I asked, the guy couldn't find them. So I asked if he would check the stock on other stores in the area, and that's when the computer reported them having 6 in the store. The guy ended up checking a storage location, or something (he mumbled), and found a big stack of them. So, the moral is, have them check the computers to verify the stock, and be persistent. It'll pay off. Oh, yeah, and make sure to tell the person at the register that 25% off $200 is $75, or whatever...he/she just might believe you;)

did you really fool them like that? Btw OP, 25 percent off 200 is 50 dollars off. I got a pair for 300, no sales tax, which is sweet. I'm getting my parts next week. I tried jamming the card into my slot, but one of the cylinders sticking on it bent when I put pressure on it so I decided to stop. Hopefully it will be faster then my 7800gs.

did you really fool them like that? Btw OP, 25 percent off 200 is 50 dollars off. I got a pair for 300, no sales tax, which is sweet. I'm getting my parts next week. I tried jamming the card into my slot, but one of the cylinders sticking on it bent when I put pressure on it so I decided to stop. Hopefully it will be faster then my 7800gs.

Wow just wow. Those cylinders are capacitors, yo. And unless you're doing something terribly horribly wrong, it will be faster than a 7800GS. And really, it shouldn't require that much 'jamming'. If the card obviously doesn't fit into the slot then maybe you have an AGP motherboard...

What? No fooling took place! I just asked for my 25% off and she rang it up as $139.99! Nothing but a good public education to blame for this. So remember, kiddies, next time your school levy is on the ballot, vote yes!

Damn man, you guys are lucky, I'm probably going to pay 200+ for mine. I'm going to wait and see if they come out with an aftermarket cooler version though, something like HIS ICEQ.

Hilarious. So I ran by my local Best Buy today to take advantage of the deal talked about here:

Next time, can you post the information for the Best Buy near Tuttle Mall? I'm on the west side of Columbus, in Hilliard, and that's my closest Best Buy.

:D

I don't need an HD 4850 at this time, but in the future, you never know :)

So I read the posts here and figure I'd run out to the Harlem/Irving store in Norridge, Illinois. First let me state that I'm not a teenager. I'm a 40 year old grown man. I get to the store and I'm in luck, they have 1, VisionTek 4850 on the shelf. I ask a salesperson to check the price, it comes up at $199. I ask him if the VisionTek cards are still 25% off. He says yes and tell me to just go up to the register and they'll make it down there.

I get to the register and the card rings up at $199+ tax. I mention that VisionTek cards are on sale, and the cashier calls the store manager. The manager comes over and tells me that " the ad says that selection varies by store". I tell him, that means that all Best Buys do not have the same stock. He asked me if I had the ad, which I had left at home. Then he says he'll be right back and disappears for 20 minutes. So, I stand there waiting and a bunch of guys come to the cashier buying accessories for Guitar Hero. I ask them if they knew about the sale of the VisonTek cards and ask them if they can believe what BB is trying to pull. They tell the cashier, "dude, give the man his card".

Finally, the manager comes back with a copy of the ad. He points out that "selection varies by store" is clearly written on the ad. Once again I tell him, that means that all stores don't carry the same stock. I ask him, if this card is a closeout, open item, special order, demo, Outlet Center, of online only item ? He says no to all of these. Then I ask him why he won't honor the discount on the weekly ad. I was told that I could argue all I want the answer will still be "NO". Then, he tells me that Best Buy has the right to refuse service to anyone and he was refusing to serve me and suggested that I leave the store immediately. I said that I would leave if they honored their ad or gave me a reasonable explaination why they would not honor the ad. Then, the secuirty guy comes over and tells me that speaking for Best Buy, " it's better for me if I leave the store immediately". Once again I told them to give me a reasonable explaination why they wouldn't honor their ad and then I wouold leave. Then they threatened to call the local police. So I left.

I called Best Buy costumer service and explained everything. Even THEY could not find a reason for the store NOT to sell me the card at 25% off. In short, they filed a complaint and are sending me a $50 gift card. I'm pushing for a written apology from both the store manager and security guy.

BTW, The expected in-store date for the VisionTek 4850 is 6/20 to 6/26 ( from Best Buys own website ). So, this card should be either included in the in the sale or just not on the shelf to be begin with.

Wow just wow. Those cylinders are capacitors, yo. And unless you're doing something terribly horribly wrong, it will be faster than a 7800GS. And really, it shouldn't require that much 'jamming'. If the card obviously doesn't fit into the slot then maybe you have an AGP motherboard...

Just a joke, I have the two cards and can't use them yet, so I'm a little anxious.

Btw: I just looked at the post ahead of me, I had trouble getting it out of Bestbuy's store as well, luckily they weren't as stubborn. They were saying that they couldn't sell the card to me, but they admitted at the beginning that if they were able to sell it now, it would recieve the 25% discount, but since they are only going to sell it starting Sunday, its the next week (apparently they don't follow the business schedule). Eventually they ended up checking through, to try and prove that they couldn't basically, and it did work, and I got 100 dollars off the msrp. I hope you can get yours. I like the fact that it's solid red cooler, and not like MSI's horrible one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=14-121-253-02.jpg&Image=14-121-253-02.jpg%2c14-121-253-03.jpg%2c14-121-253-04.jpg%2c14-121-253-05.jpg%2c14-121-253-06.jpg%2c14-121-253-07.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16814121253&Depa=1&Description=ASUS+Radeon+HD+4850+EAH4850%2fHTDI%2f512M+Video+Card

One more fact about bestbuy's iq, they had a add for a discount on blu ray and hddvd players, I was going to buy a blu ray and eventually did, but on the add it said some discount on "blu ray disc, and hddvd players." They instantly told me, thats on blu ray movies, and not on the actual player, along with hddvd players. Now one would logically consider, what kind of market strategy do you have when your trying to get people to buy hddvd players along with blu ray movies. I will give credit that one employee knew the other guys were idiots, but wasn't harsh enough to say it. Luckily the computers were smarter then they were.

Proof
IMG_0703.jpg

So I read the posts here and figure I'd run out to the Harlem/Irving store in Norridge, Illinois. First let me state that I'm not a teenager. I'm a 40 year old grown man. I get to the store and I'm in luck, they have 1, VisionTek 4850 on the shelf. I ask a salesperson to check the price, it comes up at $199. I ask him if the VisionTek cards are still 25% off. He says yes and tell me to just go up to the register and they'll make it down there.

I get to the register and the card rings up at $199+ tax. I mention that VisionTek cards are on sale, and the cashier calls the store manager. The manager comes over and tells me that " the ad says that selection varies by store". I tell him, that means that all Best Buys do not have the same stock. He asked me if I had the ad, which I had left at home. Then he says he'll be right back and disappears for 20 minutes. So, I stand there waiting and a bunch of guys come to the cashier buying accessories for Guitar Hero. I ask them if they knew about the sale of the VisonTek cards and ask them if they can believe what BB is trying to pull. They tell the cashier, "dude, give the man his card".

Finally, the manager comes back with a copy of the ad. He points out that "selection varies by store" is clearly written on the ad. Once again I tell him, that means that all stores don't carry the same stock. I ask him, if this card is a closeout, open item, special order, demo, Outlet Center, of online only item ? He says no to all of these. Then I ask him why he won't honor the discount on the weekly ad. I was told that I could argue all I want the answer will still be "NO". Then, he tells me that Best Buy has the right to refuse service to anyone and he was refusing to serve me and suggested that I leave the store immediately. I said that I would leave if they honored their ad or gave me a reasonable explaination why they would not honor the ad. Then, the secuirty guy comes over and tells me that speaking for Best Buy, " it's better for me if I leave the store immediately". Once again I told them to give me a reasonable explaination why they wouldn't honor their ad and then I wouold leave. Then they threatened to call the local police. So I left.

I called Best Buy costumer service and explained everything. Even THEY could not find a reason for the store NOT to sell me the card at 25% off. In short, they filed a complaint and are sending me a $50 gift card. I'm pushing for a written apology from both the store manager and security guy.

BTW, The expected in-store date for the VisionTek 4850 is 6/20 to 6/26 ( from Best Buys own website ). So, this card should be either included in the in the sale or just not on the shelf to be begin with.

Wow! what assholes! i hope that you get your $50 gift card AND the 25% off when you try and buy the card, that way you will only pay $125 for the card. I really hope you get your writen apology to. they treated you like if you were just there bothering, when all you wanted was en explanation of why they werent honoring the discount.

Waveforme, that's amazingly bad customer service. Even if the sale wasn't supposed to cover the new card, it was their dumb fault for putting it on the shelf early. Way to follow through with the complaint, and I'm glad you're getting the rebate. Hell, maybe now you can get $50 off an HD4870 when they come out!

Thank you for the story.
It's great to hear from a customer standing up to those assholes!

I'm pushing for a written apology from both the store manager and security guy.

good for you Waveforme. this is important- it's a matter of principle. the average customer would be satisfied with a $50 gift card, but i'd push for this as well if it happened to me.

Yeah I already went to my BB's and they all refused to sell until Sunday, but none of them knew anything about the sale. I'm a giant pussy and didn't argue with them though.
:(

You guys all suck. The best buy right next to my apartment doesn't have any 4850s. I hate you all :p

In short, they filed a complaint and are sending me a $50 gift card. I'm pushing for a written apology from both the store manager and security guy.

personally, i wouldn't push for anything from security. its his job to make sure you don't disrupt business and make sure your not going to assault the manager for being an ass. for all he knows, you were wrong, but he doesn't have anything to go on except your word, and the managers word.

Back