• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD4850 at 115 Celcius

lepard2k1

Gawd
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
540
After about 10 minutes of playing Crysis Warhead my temps go up to 115 celcius :eek:. If I play more than 20 minutes my computer will shut down/turn off.

I know the HD4850 is supposed to run hotter than previous generations, but this is a little much, isn't it? Does anyone have any recommendations that I can try or should I get a new card?

My system specs are in my sig.
 
Make sure it has good ventilation and maybe reapply the heatsink. I have one of these and they always run hot
 
Jesus. Did this just start happening or is it all of a sudden? You need to cut some fans in that case.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I'm having the exact same issue, was just coming to start a thread about it. Crashed out of a L4D match in a tournament tonight and realized my temps were ridiculously high.

Right now I've got the side off my case, I've got my AC cranked and I upped the fan to 85% through the CCC, and I'm still hitting 100 degrees core temp, and 115 degrees on the memory.

I had this issue once before with a 6800 and I opened it up, applied some AS5 and my temps dropped by about 50 degrees, but that card was well out of warranty when I did it. This Visiontek has a lifetime warranty, should I just RMA it or try and fix it myself? Reading less than stellar experiences about Visiontek RMA's has got me a little wary of going that route.

EDIT: Forgot to mention mine is definitely not in a Shuttle.
 
Last edited:
I had the same issue with my 4850 in the shuttle so I looked for the biggest cooler I could find that would still fit in the shuttle, ended up getting a DuoOrb.
Under normal operation web browsing, spreadsheets etc it sits on mid 40c when I push the crap out of it play games on it it gets to 70c thats after 2hours of Crysis:(
I've got mine set at GPU-690 and Mem-1150mhz.
 
70 is a very acceptable temperature.

ManCannon, honestly if you were to put AS5 on the card then have to RMA it, I doubt anyone would even notice the different thermal paste.
 
Um, take the cover off the shuttle and see if the temps are still sky high? If yes then RMA. If no then find a way to get some more air in there.
 
115 is too hot, even for a gpu. How is your case airflow situation?
 
Use an air compressor to clean your card from dust and from the heatsink fins. Also try detaching the blue fan wire (should be the 4th) so that the fan would run at 100% all the time. If neither of these solve the problem, either (1) you happened to get a defected card or (2) airflow in your chassis just sucks that bad (get a new chassis or do some modding).

A stock VisionTek HD4850 should be idling between 55 to 65 degrees Celcius and stressing between 70 to 80 degrees celcius. If you have the fan unlocked to 100% speed, the card should be idling between 30 to 45 degrees Celcius and stressing between 50 to 60 degrees Celcius. These temperatures depend on how much dust there is between the fins in the heatsink, how much airflow the video card gets in the chassis, and if you are using the older generation heatsink (they later replaced it with a circular copper heatsink with tons of fins and a fan over the GPU). The older generation heatsink is the single-slot heatsink and fan combination that took up nearly the whole length of the video card.

The models with the newer heatsink might run at lower temperatures altogether than the older heatsink.
 
Last edited:
Use an air compressor to clean your card from dust and from the heatsink fins. Also try detaching the blue fan wire (should be the 4th) so that the fan would run at 100% all the time. If neither of these solve the problem, either (1) you happened to get a defected card or (2) airflow in your chassis just sucks that bad (get a new chassis or do some modding).

A stock VisionTek HD4850 should be idling between 55 to 65 degrees Celcius and stressing between 70 to 80 degrees celcius. If you have the fan unlocked to 100% speed, the card should be idling between 30 to 45 degrees Celcius and stressing between 50 to 60 degrees Celcius. These temperatures depend on how much dust there is between the fins in the heatsink, how much airflow the video card gets in the chassis, and if you are using the older generation heatsink (they later replaced it with a circular copper heatsink with tons of fins and a fan over the GPU). The older generation heatsink is the single-slot heatsink and fan combination that took up nearly the whole length of the video card.

The models with the newer heatsink might run at lower temperatures altogether than the older heatsink.

+1 clean it/dust it out
 
Thank you all for the suggestions. I took off and cleaned the heatsink/fan and added AS5. Right now it is idling at 91 celcius on the desktop... still seems too high.

I don't think the Shuttle is the issue as it had not been this high before and I've had it for over 10 months now. For example, my E8400 is currently at 51 (core #0) and 47 (core #1), which is fairly standard and my HDD is at 48.

Any other ideas?
 
Thank you all for the suggestions. I took off and cleaned the heatsink/fan and added AS5. Right now it is idling at 91 celcius on the desktop... still seems too high.

I don't think the Shuttle is the issue as it had not been this high before and I've had it for over 10 months now. For example, my E8400 is currently at 51 (core #0) and 47 (core #1), which is fairly standard and my HDD is at 48.

Any other ideas?

What does it show your fan speed running at? My 4850's tend to idle around ~79-81C and the fan is usually at 29% at that point.

Also, ~50C idle on an E8400 is very high, especially if you are not overclocking. My Q6600 idles at that same temp but I have twice the number of cores, a 1200Mhz overclock, and run at 1.5volts.
 
What does it show your fan speed running at? My 4850's tend to idle around ~79-81C and the fan is usually at 29% at that point.

Also, ~50C idle on an E8400 is very high, especially if you are not overclocking. My Q6600 idles at that same temp but I have twice the number of cores, a 1200Mhz overclock, and run at 1.5volts.

Fan speed is currently at 59% on the GPU. Again, this is a new issue where it goes up so high and at the same time it turns off. I did get a new monitor so the resolution has increased from 1280x1024 to 1440x900 which would obviously make it work more.

~50C idle on the CPU is high hmmm... let me try reorganizing a bit in the Shuttle, be right back.
 
Really it is the load temp of your CPU that is most significant, as long as you aren't getting closer than 15C to the TjMax of your processor you should be okay, but 50C idle is certainly indicative of a high-ambient temperature in your case which is likely what is causing your 4850 issues.

You don't have a card installed in the slot right next to the 4850 do you? I had a 2nd soundcard in the slot right next to one of my 4850's for a while, partially blocking the fan intake, and it caused issues.
 
CPU should ideally idle ~30C, but with the Shuttle HSF that may not be possible.

I see. It is currently idling at ~43C after reseating which is much better than before.

Really it is the load temp of your CPU that is most significant, as long as you aren't getting closer than 15C to the TjMax of your processor you should be okay, but 50C idle is certainly indicative of a high-ambient temperature in your case which is likely what is causing your 4850 issues.

You don't have a card installed in the slot right next to the 4850 do you? I had a 2nd soundcard in the slot right next to one of my 4850's for a while, partially blocking the fan intake, and it caused issues.

No, the PCI slot next to the card is unused.

I am cleaning the Shuttle a bit right now and will try to play Crysis Warhead again to see if it still causes the PC to turn off.
 
I figured out the issue about the PC turning off after approximately 10 minutes. I had the DVI->HDMI cable running to my TV as well. I guess the card was doing twice as much work.

This of course made it reach the temperature of 115C. Now it is at ~103C.

I wish to bring this down as well. Any ideas?
 
just sounds like not enough ventilation to me, other then seeing it in person, I cant offer any fixes...
 
Not wanting to troll and be a fanboi, can't help it but thats what happens when you buy cards from ATi:D
 
Last edited:
Just leave the cover off of it for a bit. Get an idea of what the card runs with unlimited airflow.
 
My E8400 is currently sitting on core-0 42c and core-1 43c, 4850 46c, amb 27c.

Small overclock on cpu 3.15 the computer has been on for the last 10hours.
 
My 4580 used to hit ~99c in temperature at full load, even after removing the side panel for better airflow. Worried, i asked if 95c is okay for the card at amd forum. Some dude there assure me the temperature is within a safe range.

I dont buy that and for some assurance, bought myself a Accelero Rev. 2 and slapping a fan on it. now it runs at 48c-68c :D

The original cooler idles at 60+, it was a reference card.
 
The OP’s 4850 is almost certainly a model with a single-slot cooler, which is the cause of the high temps. Saying that this is some sort of AMD/ATI quality issue is stupid. 4850’s with dual-slot coolers don’t exhibit this issue. The last single-slot videocard from Nvidia was what, the 8800GT? I guess no one remembers those cards also having nearly the same issues when it came to the coolers not being adequate?

The 4850 is rated to 104C, in fact, unless you set manual fan control the fan won’t even be at 100% until nearly that temperature.

Make sure that when you are dusting the cooler on the 4850 out that you remove any dust that is stuck to the heatsink between the heatsink and the fan. I’ve found that if you are just blowing air into the heatsink without actually taking the card out first it usually isn’t enough.
 
My 4580 used to hit ~99c in temperature at full load, even after removing the side panel for better airflow. Worried, i asked if 95c is okay for the card at amd forum. Some dude there assure me the temperature is within a safe range.

I dont buy that and for some assurance, bought myself a Accelero Rev. 2 and slapping a fan on it. now it runs at 48c-68c :D

The original cooler idles at 60+, it was a reference card.

Accelero S1 Rev. 2 isn't that fanless? Ok, I checked yes it is.

I may just purchase this as it can bring down the temperature on my card as well as killing the noise level.

Ok any specific reason as to why Newegg does not list the HD4800 as being compatible:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016
 
Last edited:
Back
Top