• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD4830 all around king.

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 28, 2008
Messages
4,018
Kinda surprised by this. Great article though. Linked of HardOCP's main page.
Points:
HD4830 is the best all around card.
HD4730 is killer for the price.
HD4770 is a great OC'er, and when it comes down in price, should be the new king.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4730/1.html

Check out the :
Performance per Watt
Performance per $$$

HD4830 reigns, but ATi is strong across the board.
 
I'd wait for a few more reviews and actual "regular joe" reviews before calling it the king.


Also HD4770s can be had for under $100 if you look for them. Unfortunately that doesn't change the poor availability of them but the HD4770 has a 40nm GPU which IMO easily justifies the higher cost and with some OC skill can perform way more higher than the charts over at TPU.
 
A few more reviews? It's not a new card you know. Actually close to EOL. The benches were from their HD4730 review. They tested all modern cards, and the HD4830, was best Performance per Watt/ best Performance per $$$. I think that makes it all around king.
 
I agree with the findings. I'm, however, worried of what might come of the 4770 in the near future. Manufacturing has held up production and prices, so the adoption rate has been slow. When things get straightened out with the 40nm production the 47xx derivatives will become cheaper, but then the DX11 parts will be ready to ship ushering in a new era. People might then shy away from older DX10.1 parts, I know I would. All in all I really wanted to pick up a 4770, but I was waiting for it to come in around < $90. It almost did this at launch with MIR but then the 40nm process failed to improve and here we are.
 
The 4830 has a very impressive performance/W.

The bad thing about performance/$ is that street prices vary widely (even just 1 day later at the same etailer W1zzard used), moreso for nvidia cards than ati cards despite the sticky in the main forum. :p You can get a 4830 for $73AR or a 9800GT for $85AR (i got one for $60AR a couple of weeks ago) currently at newegg, altering the performance/$ rankings for those 2 cards (9800GT is faster in every resolution and overall 10% faster on average from the performance summary charts). The 2 cards would essentially be close to even in performance/$, again leaving it up to personal preference or other non-performance considerations.

The other problem is that these are just timedemos. Easy to bulk run, but actual gaming and relative performance will be different. The info is fine if all you're going to do is run timedemos. ;) It's fine a a general rough estimate, but you have to consider a margin of error for the difference between timedemo and actual gaming performance. Two cards within several percent of each other may easily have the rankings swapped in real testing.
 
I got the HD4830 because it was a practical option for the time (November 2008). The 9800gt's were at least $50 more expensive but offered similar performance to the HD4830. And I have to say I am very content with my choice. I play CoD:WaW multiplayer with 2xAA and it stays at 60 (vsync) and only drops to 30fps if there's heavy smoke or something. TF2 runs perfectly fine at mostly high settings. If I could, I would get an HD4870. But I am waiting till there's a new line of cards to buy because this is perfect for now.
 
HD4870X2 is all around king. It consumes the most power, but it's also the fastest ATi card. Regardless of how many watts it consumes, and how much heat it generates, it is faster than the 4830.
 
Very happy with my own 4830 purchase. It runs the vast majority of games well, and the games it doesn't run very well are games that the best cards have a hard time maxing out too. Really don't feel any pressure to upgrade at this time, though I'll consider it once the 58xx and gtx3xx series are available.
 
I absolutely love my 4830, the core overclocks like a beast too.


I try to talk myself into upgrading almost every week, but in the end when I think about it, every game I play runs perfect for me, and I only run 1600x1200 so I don't need huge power anyways.

God I remember when 1600x1200 was a really high resolution and almost seemed like a fantasy I would never get to play at.

vidcards offer so much value these days.
 
I completely agree and satisfied with my purchase of 4830, bcoz I mostly play games on 1440x900 anyway... it overclocks fine, but with only few added fps, that doesn't really justifies overclocking, I mostly play in stock.

I'll wait till next gen release to purchase a new monitor and thus new graphics, probably will get something like the next gen 4850 next time.
 
A few more reviews? It's not a new card you know. Actually close to EOL. The benches were from their HD4730 review. They tested all modern cards, and the HD4830, was best Performance per Watt/ best Performance per $$$. I think that makes it all around king.

More reviews for the new HD4700 series cards that are in that review.
 
My asus 4830 overclocked to 700 core, is still slower than any of my $75 8800 gtx cards I have recently bought. It is still a nice card though.
 
4830s are amazing! Great temps and overclocking!

Check out my performance review of a XFX HD 4830.



I still think it can't touch the HD4770.


HD4770rockssinglegpu3dmark06.JPG


Also don't forget it is more power efficient and cooler.
 
HD4870X2 is all around king. It consumes the most power, but it's also the fastest ATi card. Regardless of how many watts it consumes, and how much heat it generates, it is faster than the 4830.

You're missing the point of the review.

Everyone knows the 4870x2 is a faster card than the 4830.
 
I was using an AMD dual in my review and you are using an Intel quad at 4.0+GHZ. Not really a fair comparison.


I'm still working on the OC. I should be hitting 18,000 3dmark06 for single HD4770. It's low power requirements make it a great video card for overall system over clocking.
 
I bought a Gigabyte HD 4830 for $25 after MIR.
IMO, best bang for bucks ever!
 
Unfortunately If you include folding you unfairly instantly have to jump over to nvidia. An 8800gt can outfold a 4870x2.

I would say if the 4830 is ATI's all around king then the 8800gt/9800gt is nvidia's. They perform nearly the same as the 4830, use close to the same amount of power, and fold way better. They do go for another $10-20 than a 4830 though if you count 4830 mail in rebates.

I think it's shaddy they randomly left this very popular card out of the round up.
 
$300+ performance for roughly $160 if you buy 2 and run them in CF.
Have mine @ 695 core / 935 mem. Replaced a 9800GTX. Didn't really need them; I was getting 60+ @ 1680x1050 at everything I play...but for the price, I couldn't refuse.
 
Back
Top