HD3870 vs 8800gt

I dont mean to sound offensive but where do you get that from? The fan is a loud one when it revs up to max and even then, the core's hitting 90C.
The core only gets into the 90C range when the fan is maxed out at 29%.

Put the fan on 50% and the core will be in the 75C range.

Put the fan at 100% and the core will be inthe 55C range.

The same question to you:
Do you think that the graphics-fairy just used magic and created a new card?

He BROKE the warrenty and LIED about it and sent the bill to NVIDIA, who do you think they will make PAY for that?
The graphics-fairy?
Or anyone buying NVIDIA-hardware?

Those are the facts, no sugar-coating will justify that...it's fraud and the rest of us picks up the tab.

???

This isn't the place to lecture him about his morals.

The same question to you:
Do you think that the graphics-fairy just used magic and created a new card?

He BROKE the warrenty and LIED about it and sent the bill to NVIDIA, who do you think they will make PAY for that?
The graphics-fairy?
Or anyone buying NVIDIA-hardware?

Those are the facts, no sugar-coating will justify that...it's fraud and the rest of us picks up the tab.

Once again...who the hell do you think you are lecturing like this. Get a life and chastise someone who cares about what you think. Last I knew, XFX does cover volt modding among others and when was the last time video card prices goes up due to people returning fried cards? Seriously, just lay off man...your like one of those jehovah witnesses i just want to call the cops on all the damn time. Now that this conv has gone horribly off topic, im just gonna quit posting in the thread. OP got the GT, OP is happy about the GT, peace im out!

my friend recived his 3870, works flawlessy, and with 2, damn :|

im going quad 3870, no hesitation there, 3x 8800 Gt cant compete against taht, not 8800 ultra either i guess in trisli.

Btw, the 3870 is more quite, got HDMI, DX 10.1, pci-e 2.0 dualslot = better cooling solution actually, some have some heat/noise issues with the 8800 GT, depends on case, rare occasions, this will prolly happen to any1 who gota micro micro tower with only the psu fan running with a 125 watts amd cpu or a 130 watts penryn lol.

well, i dont mind the dualslot, there is no pci under the pci-e ?, does that still exist, ? ive not seen it, have you ?.

okey, the 3870 GIVES MORE FPS PER DOLLAR, yes. 3850 gives the most bang for the bucks, then 3870 then 8800 GT, then 3850 CF!.

This is the way it is, and 8800 GT gotta go WAY down in price to match ati's price.

And not to mention ati's bad driver development, will be like Q1/Q2 before ati have proper drivers for theese cards, performance just increase and increase per driver at a higher rate than nvidia, nvidia is really good at software, no doubt, makes better first impression.

I like what you said in this one up above this! It was good advise, and my mom wont give me the 150bucks i loaned her so i cant get the 8800gt anymore. And i might be getting a 32inch tv from bestbuy on black friday. So i will most likely get a 3870 some other time next year unless the gt prices go down.

And not to mention ati's bad driver development, will be like Q1/Q2 before ati have proper drivers for theese cards, performance just increase and increase per driver at a higher rate than nvidia, nvidia is really good at software, no doubt, makes better first impression.

Are you saying that the 3870 will soon out-perform the gt?

my friend recived his 3870, works flawlessy, and with 2, damn :|

im going quad 3870, no hesitation there, 3x 8800 Gt cant compete against taht, not 8800 ultra either i guess in trisli.

Btw, the 3870 is more quite, got HDMI, DX 10.1, pci-e 2.0 dualslot = better cooling solution actually, some have some heat/noise issues with the 8800 GT, depends on case, rare occasions, this will prolly happen to any1 who gota micro micro tower with only the psu fan running with a 125 watts amd cpu or a 130 watts penryn lol.

well, i dont mind the dualslot, there is no pci under the pci-e ?, does that still exist, ? ive not seen it, have you ?.

okey, the 3870 GIVES MORE FPS PER DOLLAR, yes. 3850 gives the most bang for the bucks, then 3870 then 8800 GT, then 3850 CF!.

This is the way it is, and 8800 GT gotta go WAY down in price to match ati's price.

No, the 8800GT doesnt have to go "way down to match ati's price". If someone wants the faster card, they will pay more for it. Generally, it's always been that way.

Definitely the 8800gt. I was on the fence for a long time and was anticipating the 3870 release, but overall the gt is a much better value especially at the same price. As said by many others... single slot, faster, etc.

I ended up going for the gt myself even though I had to pay a bit more. Much more worth it IMO.

BTW, seems no one has brought it up, but 10.1 support seems unnecessary at this point.

With Vista SP1 its gonna be a lot more relevant than it is now.

How the heck do you calculate this?

The 8800GT is 15-30% better across the board. Your calculations say it's less than 10% faster.

With future driver updates to the 3870 you can halve that figure to around 5%.

With Vista SP1 its gonna be a lot more relevant than it is now.

tbh...im still waiting for dx10 and vista to become relevant, much less dx10.1 when the gaming industry can consistently create a game that doesnt see a major performance drop going from 9 to 10 people should focus less on 10.1 cards and more on dx10 programmers

With future driver updates to the 3870 you can halve that figure to around 5%.

proof? :rolleyes: im still waiting for rumoured magical drivers that make the HD 2900 XT marginally better than the 8800GTS? sad when ati's flagship card is matched by a nv midrange card. heres one to hoping ati is able to get it together this round as it will be a sad sad day for us consumers if they dont.

Maybe they should drop dx10 and move on to dx10.1 im pretty sure they have enough to do it.

tbh...im still waiting for dx10 and vista to become relevant, much less dx10.1 when the gaming industry can consistently create a game that doesnt see a major performance drop going from 9 to 10 people should focus less on 10.1 cards and more on dx10 programmers

There are Directx 10 games already. The mmog LOTRO has added support for it despite some bugs. Directx 10.1 can't be added until Microsoft releases SP1 for Vista. I read that Nvidia didn't add directx 10.1 because it was too late for them to add it to the card.

Although it would do no good for someone running Windows XP. I run Vista x64 myself.

There are Directx 10 games already. The mmog LOTRO has added support for it despite some bugs. Directx 10.1 can't be added until Microsoft releases SP1 for Vista. I read that Nvidia didn't add directx 10.1 because it was too late for them to add it to the card.

Although it would do no good for someone running Windows XP. I run Vista x64 myself.

i have vista 32bit dual booting on my computer simply for the sake of trying out the new "dx10" games in dx10. honestly, i have been less than amused at the performane hits i have been taking so far. yes it looks better, but only a couple of titles have able to make it look a lot better without too much drops in performance. what i was trying to say is that i am still waiting for vista and dx10 to provide me with an experience that makes me want to permanently move away from xp and dx9. from what we were hyped up to believe, dx10 was suppose to deliver substantially better shading abilities at less or near the same performance as dx9, due in part to the more "efficient" geometric shading

Umm...the 3870 is the dual slot, where as the 8800gt is single slot, so that point is moot. So if you think that a hotter card and potentially louder card is only worth it if it's 70 dollars cheaper, then you're wasting 70 dollars my friend :) And none of those other factors matter if you want a FASTER card. If you want a faster card, buy the faster card and pay more. If you dont want to pay more, dont buy the 8800gt, get the 3870. Its a good card too, its just not as fast. That's what really matters here.

If the two were the same price, you'd just be picky; Those who want speed are the majority, and would buy the faster card.

If you want a FASTER card, and don't care about any other factors, you should get the 8800GTX/Ultra. 8800GT is meant to be a "well-rounded" card that gives the best bang for your bucks, so the price/performance ratio, the heat, the noise, etc. do matter.

Anyway, if you want pure performance, get the GTX/Ulra, if you want best bang for your bucks, get the HD3850.

When you are in Crysis pulling 25FPS on a 3870 that extra 15% on the GT is going to matter a fair bit.

But seriously, your post is flame bait and you know it. The GT will always win out around the same price, in fact up to about $40 more. Not flaming the 3870 its a dam nice card, but the GT is a little better as per ALL the reviews.
honestly, your post is flame bait, anyone should know that extra 15% over 25FPS is still UNPLAYABLE. 28FPS over 25FPS is just moot.

seriously it all depends on personal preferences. If the guy wants to put his rig in the bedroom and wants it on 24/7, the noise can be quite an issue that needs more than 70 bucks to solve.

Not if you put in the other factors, single-slot, noise, temperature, power.
you can not feel the 3~8 frames difference, but your ear can hear louder noise, your case would feel the temperature, you can feel the missing pci slot.
In my opinion, 8800GT would have to be $179.99 to be competitive, and 8600GTS would have to be $89.99.
I owned the 3870 and I now own 2 8800GT's. The 8800GT offers a lot more than just 3-8 more frames per second. One GT gave me a 20 fps increase in COD 4 alone.

I owned the 3870 and I now own 2 8800GT's. The 8800GT offers a lot more than just 3-8 more frames per second. One GT gave me a 20 fps increase in COD 4 alone.

A lot of the performance issues and differences with the 3870 and the 8800 are due to the ATI drivers being in beta and the fact that the 3870 is such a new card. Don't you remember when the 8800GT came out and the drivers were terrible for it. The 3870 has the potential to be faster than the 8800GT in the long run when the drivers are updated. That being said, the 8800GT is a more expensive card than the 3870 so I have no problem with the 3870 being a little slower than an 8800GT.

However, the 8800GT is old technology and the 3870 is on the new 55nm tech which is really nice if you think about it. Again, if you want the fastest go buy an Ultra or 3870x2. The 3870 is a great card and is faster than the 8800GT is some games and I imagine will be faster than the 8800GT in most games when the drivers become more developed.

Not to mention the fact that the 3870 can be OC'd like crazy and at OC speeds can rival the 8800GTS (G92) in most games.

Whine all you want, but in my book the 3870 is the winner.

A lot of the performance issues and differences with the 3870 and the 8800 are due to the ATI drivers being in beta and the fact that the 3870 is such a new card. Don't you remember when the 8800GT came out and the drivers were terrible for it. The 3870 has the potential to be faster than the 8800GT in the long run when the drivers are updated. That being said, the 8800GT is a more expensive card than the 3870 so I have no problem with the 3870 being a little slower than an 8800GT.

However, the 8800GT is old technology and the 3870 is on the new 55nm tech which is really nice if you think about it. Again, if you want the fastest go buy an Ultra or 3870x2. The 3870 is a great card and is faster than the 8800GT is some games and I imagine will be faster than the 8800GT in most games when the drivers become more developed.

Not to mention the fact that the 3870 can be OC'd like crazy and at OC speeds can rival the 8800GTS (G92) in most games.

Seems as if you're looking for a miracle driver. ATI has released about 3 drivers for the Radeon 3800 series cards and I have yet to see any kind of big increase in fps. All the drivers have done is increase stability. Anyways, ATI MIGHT eventually release drivers that give a performance boost but the 8800GT's run great out of the box so I went with that card instead.

As for overclocking, I tried overclocking the Visiontek 3870 and not only was it a pain in the butt but I did not get any good results. I returned that card in exchange for another and I got the same results.

If you're curious as to what games ran faster on the 8800GT over the 3870, those games were Bioshock, COD 4 and Crysis.

Btw, who's whining? I'm not the one trying to defend the weaker card here, LoL!

3870 and 3850 gpu's are r600's like in 2900. the 8800gt and new gts use gpu's based on the g80's. both "new" gpu's are essentially die shrinks of their forbearer's.

AtkinS is definitely a guerrilla marketing tool. Atech needs his meds.

And whoever said the 8800GT had shitty drivers on release were talkin out of their ass. I bought my 8800GT for $236 shipped 1 days after release. I've gotten nothing than incredible performance in all of my games and my numbers are typcially 3% higher than H's numbers.

Keep waiting for those magical drivers with your sony fans waiting for those magical killer apps to make playing games fun again.

Back