HD2900XTX To appear Late July?!

Damn. What they are saying is the xtx is nothing more than an xt with more/faster ram. Yippee! :rolleyes:

It will feature 1GB of GDDR memory and this means a higher memory clock, up from 1650MHz DDR for the HD 2900XT to 2020MHz DDR. The core will also be boosted, but only a laughable 10MHz from 740 to 750MHz. It seems like there will be as much point in buying the Radeon HD 2900XTX as it is to buy a GeForce 8800 Ultra.
 
I read they might delay the XTX so it can be released on a .65nm process. But the only way for that to be worth it is for a massive bump in clock frequency. When people are reporting 100mhz overclocks on the XT, a 10mhz bump on the XTX doesn't pass the smell test.
 
Christ almighty, ati really really fucked up this launch (again), the current rumour is that gdd4 has issues with their ringbus controller and they only recently found this out, i woulda thought that this would have been apparent with the x1950 series which had gddr-4.

Has there ever been a launch in the last few years where the high end wasn't available for several months (after a 6 month delay) and the second to top end down was? :confused:

I though the initial delay was bad enough, but after months of waiting theres more waiting to be done for people wanting the xtx version. :mad:
 
, a 10mhz bump on the XTX doesn't pass the smell test.

Oh it passes the smell test ok, the bullshit smell test, i.e;

I don't beleive that their top of the line card has only 10mhz more on the core than the xt, this is bullshit. :D
 
Oh it passes the smell test ok, the bullshit smell test, i.e;

I don't beleive that their top of the line card has only 10mhz more on the core than the xt, this is bullshit. :D

I too was hoping for more of a performance increase over the XT. Just doesnt seem to justify the extra money..or the wait for that matter.
 
wait so is the xt still launching in 4days?! I need answer asap :D so I will know if I should buy a 8800gts now or wait till 4 more days to get it*price drops*
 
So the XTX is AMD's 8800 Ultra, huh? I suppose that depends on what they intend to charge, of course.

I don't think either card makes any "great idea" lists that I know of. Interesting.
 
But this contradicts whats DailyTech was saying: The XT is 745 core and the XTX would be 750 core...Who to believe?
I wouldn't believe anyone but an ATI engineer at the moment, and even then I'd be skeptical.

Yes the difference is 5mhz, but this means that both reports had different information. So the XTX would only be up 5mhz, or if to leave the 10mhz then the XTX would be 755.
This to me just demonstrates the density of the fog surrounding any hypothetically legitimate information that might exist about the R600 on the web. Too much contradiction, too much uncertaintity and not enough irrefutable sources. Don't believe the hype, or in this case, possible attempts at product denigration in advance of official release.
 
If this is true, and we'll all come to find out Monday, then this will be the last nail in the coffin, so to speak, for my purchasing decisions this time around. No way I'm waiting another month.

If it's true, then, 'Maybe next time ATI..'
 
The X1900XTX only had a 25Mhz core clock increase over the XT, and you can easily clock an XT faster than that. Some folk seem to expect an awful lot from the 2900xtx.
 
I think the reason for the small mhz bump is due to the XTX's GPU still being 80 nm; with the number of transistors there are in the core I imagine heat and power consumption being a serious problem past 750 mhz. They're probably delaying for the 65 nm part, then the 10 mhz speed bump will no longer apply, as they'll be able to crank it significantly higher and justify the new product.
 
If you were a real 2900XTX customer you'd already have a 8800GTX SLI rig, you'd have your Ultras on order, and be willing to order at the drop of the hat whenever something with slightly higher benchmarks come out. Whatever that might be. Just to try them out. And then fleabay whichever you didn't like....or better yet have someone fleabay them for you, because you'd have people to do that for you.
 
It seems to me that the 1GB card has twice the video memory as the XT. So even if the clock speeds were pretty much the same, you would still see a significant performance increase at high resolutions and settings. The comparison between the Ultra and the XTX is not accurate, because you are getting twice the memory as the XT.

It also seems to me that between ATI and Nvidia we have a lot of choices with respect to how much we want to spend on video memory--

320MB 8800 GTS,
512MB HD2900XT,
620MB 8800GTS ,
768MB 8800GTS,
1GB X2900XTX.

I'd like to see benchmarks that compare all of the above.
 
HD 2600, the forgotten child? :( I can kinda understand keeping the 2400 tucked under the stairs because nobody cares. But I really want to see a new $200 standard set. Not another "just get a X1950Pro instead" like nVidia came out with.
 
But this contradicts whats DailyTech was saying: The XT is 745 core and the XTX would be 750 core...Who to believe? Yes the difference is 5mhz, but this means that both reports had different information. So the XTX would only be up 5mhz, or if to leave the 10mhz then the XTX would be 755.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7052&commentid=132671&threshhold=1&red=321

Specifications
o Mfr Part Number: 100201SR
o Chipset: Radeon X2900 XT
o Engine Clock: 750 MHz
o Video Memory: 512MB DDR3
o Memory Clock: 1.65 GHz
o Memory Interface: 512-bit
o Bus: PCI-Express x16
o RAMDAC: 400 MHz
o Connectors: Dual DVI; VIVO (HDTV ready)
o Thermal: Fansink
o Support ATI CrossFire Technology
o Support HDCP - High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
o Support Microsoft DirectX 10, Shader Model 4.0 and OpenGL 2.0
o Package: OEM

That's from ewiz site. Only $410 oem :rolleyes:
 
don't know what the suprise is here, the XTX is an OEM card, I doubt we'd be able to get out hands on out outside of Dell or HP, and not like it'll totally blow our minds away either ... think X1900XTX to X1950XTX

the only thing Im confused on is why on earth are they going to be splitting the memory types, the XTX seems to be a good candidate for GDDR3 and the XT for GDDR4, or just switch the names and memory type, who the hell cares either way their more expensive memory shouldn't be going into OEMs :confused:
 
the only thing Im confused on is why on earth are they going to be splitting the memory types, the XTX seems to be a good candidate for GDDR3 and the XT for GDDR4, or just switch the names and memory type, who the hell cares either way their more expensive memory shouldn't be going into OEMs :confused:

Whats wrong with oem? And by oem are you referring to "white box" products or oem as in var/aib.....any one other than ti selling the cards?
 
80nm X2900XT on monday and 65nm X2900XTX in the future. Sometimes I think (I bet many do) people just dash right into these threads and post away without even reading the news.
 
Personally, I'm on a yearly (maybe 1 1/2+) upgrade cycle currently. It helps me to build towards a decent rendering farm, when the time comes, without dropping a fortune on this thing. Because of that, I try to go with whoever has the lead at the time. So, releasing the second top-performer would take some serious convincing and feature sets to get my consumer confidence.
 
Whats wrong with oem? And by oem are you referring to "white box" products or oem as in var/aib.....any one other than ti selling the cards?

"pre-builts" if that helps clear it up ;)

nothings wrong with OEM, just strange they wouldn't release their main shipped card to masses with GDDR4, it had a major help with the X1900's, and I could see it as a staple to get their performance up with their cards if they needed it, dunno why they are sticking it in a machine where people don't care about 5-10% speed differences, if it plays games it plays games!
 
don't know what the suprise is here, the XTX is an OEM card, I doubt we'd be able to get out hands on out outside of Dell or HP, and not like it'll totally blow our minds away either ... think X1900XTX to X1950XTX

the only thing Im confused on is why on earth are they going to be splitting the memory types, the XTX seems to be a good candidate for GDDR3 and the XT for GDDR4, or just switch the names and memory type, who the hell cares either way their more expensive memory shouldn't be going into OEMs :confused:

With a 512bit memory bus, neither card will need GDDR4. The XTX will be a huge waste of money unless the core clock is significantly faster (or more overclockable) than the XT.
 
Back
Top