HD280 Headband cracking

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
Yeah, title says it all. The headband on my HD280's (less than a year old, don't remember exactly when I bought them though) is cracking in a few places on both sides - same places on each side. This picture shows where roughly where the cracks are occuring, I'd post pics of the actual cracks but I lack a digital camera here.

So basically, who can I talk to about getting these replaced/fixed, or am I just screwed?

the black knight always triumphs!

My friend got a pair of 280s also, and his plether pads are all broken away now leaving the foam underneath after only 1 year. I can't recommend anyone get the 280s out of pure quality reasons. Give sennheiser a call and complain is my advice. They might send you a new pair or upgrade you, who knows. But most likely you are SOL. :(

If they are still under warranty give sennheiser a call or shoot them an email. The paint chipped off of the headband on my HD600s and they sent me a new headband.

You can get replacement parts from Senn. directly. FWIW, My HD280s are about 8 months old and they still look brand new.

Yeah, mine looked fine until the headband started cracking... I guess I should see if I can dig up the receipt when I go home this weekend. If I can't get this fixed/replaced I'll probably pick up some Grados + pads or something for music and ad700's or so for games... bleh. More money :/

Welcome to the club.

If I'm not mistaken, the Senn HD280pro come with a 2 year warrenty. Try and dig up the receipt and they will fix it for free under warranty.

Pretty sure I kept the receipt, might be a date of manufacture on the box or something too, but I won't know til friday/saturday :/ If not, I have no idea what cost to fix it will be - if it is a lot, I may just live with it and buy some better headphones :)o)

MisterX, thanks for the link, says proof of purchase will be required for it to be considered under warranty. These should be, assuming I can find the receipt.

rogue_jedi said:
If not, I have no idea what cost to fix it will be - if it is a lot, I may just live with it and buy some better headphones :)o)
Q: What is the repair cost?

A: Repair cost minimum is $35.00 to evaluate the unit. This cost is included in your repair if you decide to have the unit repaired.

I think it can go all the way up to about 33% of the MSRP (200$?). So a max of about 70$. Heck, at the price it be better just keeping the borken ones and getting better headphones.

Having paid $80 for the headphones in the first place, I'm not gonna pay $70 to get these fixed... I'll just buy new ones if I can't find the receipt.

So, uh... any recommendations? I'm considering something like the dt770s or maybe sr225s... I should probably find somewhere where I can listen to them :/

rogue_jedi said:
Having paid $80 for the headphones in the first place, I'm not gonna pay $70 to get these fixed... I'll just buy new ones if I can't find the receipt.

So, uh... any recommendations? I'm considering something like the dt770s or maybe sr225s... I should probably find somewhere where I can listen to them :/

For me, the DT770pro are immensely superior to the HD280pro. For the price I highly recommend them.

The grado's have a unique sound and feel. I stress that you try out the grados before buying them, because you might not be able to stand them.

Back