HD Window Mod

rainman

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I did it. I'm too lazy to take pictures documenting the whole thing. So, here's the finished project.

drive.jpg

Dust is on the outside of the HD.

Movies in a few minutes.

I always wondered what the click was inside of my box that was an awesome video

What would happen if you touched the plate, would it still work or would it not be able to read through

That looks pretty good. You should really put toeghtoer a nice case to show it off in like twinkie suggested. Nice video by the way.

locutus24 said:
What would happen if you touched the plate, would it still work or would it not be able to read through

The hard drive would be most decidedly ruined.

Cool vid, but you need to like transfer data to/from the HDD to really show off the mod :p

It's a Western Digital 40GB. Probably 2 years old (only a 1 year warranty, and free from a friend after I got his data off it).

It's very loud now. Very distinct clicks and whirs.

I'm pretty sure the drive was dead/dying before I chopped into it. When I took the video, Windows had a very hard time recognizing that it was a hard drive, but it was doing that before the mod. So, I think it's toast.

I think the plan for it is to wire it up to spin when a computer is on, only move the head at random times, and not actually be hooked up to a data cable. I think it would be awesome to have near the window of either my gaming machine or my webserver, but the webserver is just so clean and minimal right now. Maybe I can figure something out.

Also, I have another WD 40GB that is questionable (4 years old). I may chop into it at a later date. We'll see. Anyway, I want to get back to my work on my webserver...

now kids, don't get all insipired and [H]ack into your 74GB Raptor to put a window in. The slightest amount of outside material can render a hard drive useless.

anyways, great mod, looks fantastic. Too bad the hard drive was on it's way out.

It will die on its own, the window mod will only speed up its death. I don't think anyone on the [H] or any other mod site has gotten a hard drive window mod to stay working, they usually die out. Mashie's died, I know that for sure.

i did just about the same mod to a 15 gig i had laying around...cept....heheh (so proud of myself), i wired about 5 blue 3mm LEDs into the top before i put it all together.....

u have no idea how awesome that looks when the HD is running at night.... i could hook it up to the HD activity connector on my mobo using an opto isolator (a relay using light) which is really cool, if you ask me...

pictures coming soon...

good job on the mod tho

Back