HD Tune benchmark

delvryboy

2[H]4U
I just ran a benchmark with HD Tune and I just wanted to check the numbers with someone who has more knowledge of SSD's

2 30gb Vertex's in raid 0.

HDTune.png

Speeds are fairly low. My single Torqx, which has pretty much the same hardware as the Vertex, gets a much higher transfer rate(Min: 175MB, Max:235MB, Average 220MB).Make sure that in the Device Manager setting for your drives that you enable the two Write Caching options. Don't really know what else could be causing your lower transfer speeds.

That was a read-only test. I don't think write cache will make much difference for him.

Your numbers are way low. I have a number of Vertex drives and have tested them 9 ways to Sunday. I know that you should be doing much, much better. The raw speeds of these drives vary from 175-220MB/s reads depending on FW version and how clean the drive is. Raid 0 should come very close to Nx200MB/s, with N being the number of drives in your array, until you start to hit controller bottlenecks. You should not be satisfied until you get your 2 drive array between 350-400MB/s, even with Intel motherboard raid (ICHxR).

Ideas:
- Run a sanitary erase and upgrade the firmware to rev 1.5. This one supports both TRIM and Garbage Collect. TRIM wont pass through any RAID controllers today, but the GC should protect the raid array from the "used SSD" problem.
- The Vertex seem's 'happiest' with the stripe size set to 64k, but even if you set it a bit bigger or smaller it shouldn't really matter all that much.
- Check your raid controller. I am not familiar with the P55D mobo - what raid controller are you using for the raid 0? It is the most likely bottleneck. I've only tested with ICH8R, 9R and 10R. The ICH8R seems to speed-limit raid-0 at about 300MB/s, ICH9 and 10 seem to be able to get to 450-500MB/s with these drives.

Last edited:
I didn't check the firmware version, where can I do that?

I set the stripe size to 128k because it was recommended on the OCZ forums, I also aligned the drives before installing windows.

I believe I only enabled write cache in one place, where's the other.

Honestly, they were so lightning fast compared to my 640 black that I never gave them a second thought. I worked on my overclock and just started looking at the SSD's now.

If I need to upgrade the firmware, is it possible to do so without rebuilding the raid and reinstalling windows?

Also, numbers for my HD501LJ storage drive for comparison are:

Min: 36.5
Max: 82.7
Avg: 65.1
Burst: 127.6
Access time: 18.8ms

HD Tune will show you the firmware version in the Info panel. I believe that OCZ has a non-destructible firmware update process, but I would still back up everything just in case.

It's actually pretty unbelievable that drives I just purchased have the original firmware for over a year ago..

looks like I need to do a destructive flash as I can't upgrade from 1.0

which mobo are you using?
And update your FW to 1.5

Those numbers look awfully slow.

Asus p55 deluxe. Yeah, I just have to get the time because I have to flash from a different windows drive.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The numbers are horrible now that I've done some more research. I have no reason why except the possibility that having the original Vertex firmware is causing the problem.

Hopefully I can get to it next week and see if that corrects the problem.

I ended up RMA'ng them for drives with 1.5fw and selling them. I picked up another on the egg while I was waiting for the replacements and I'm just sticking with it.

HDT1.png

Back