• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD thinks it's smaller than it really is?

G-Nome

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
213
My storage HD is a Maxtor 160GB SATA drive, but for some reason it only seems to be recognizing 127GB worth of it. Is this a common problem with a common solution, or is there something wrong with the drive itself? :confused: Any help is appreciated! Thanks a bunch. :)
 
Or he could just install a service pack. My way is a lot easier!
 
Well, I'm already at SP2, so that shouldn't be the problem. I read the tutorial on Microsoft's website, but the hotfix it told me to download apparently doesn't work with SP2. Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

Edit: Well, I looked in the 'Disk Management' thingy, and it's telling met that the other 22GB of space is "unallocated", whatever that means. Is there a way to re-allocate it? :D
 
Yes, go back to disk management

Delete the 127GB partition and then you'll have 160GB unallocated, or whatever your total size is.

Then you can make a new partition of 127GB+

:cool:
 
Good thing I splurged and bought a back-up drive. :D That's a lot of info about to go bye-bye.
 
Weeell..that didn't work. My storage drive, for some reason, is the 'C' drive, so it's recognized as my System Drive, which can't be deleted. My boot drive (the one with Windows) is 'E'. Unfortunately, I can't change the letters. Is there any way around this, or should I just create another partition with the rest of the space on the C drive?
 
Bumpage.

OK, one more question. If I completely format my C drive (data drive), will that affect my system somehow, since it's the 'system drive'? I don't want to have to re-install windows. :p
 
G-Nome said:
Weeell..that didn't work. My storage drive, for some reason, is the 'C' drive, so it's recognized as my System Drive, which can't be deleted. My boot drive (the one with Windows) is 'E'. Unfortunately, I can't change the letters. Is there any way around this, or should I just create another partition with the rest of the space on the C drive?
If you already have all your data backed up, the easiest way is to start over. I once messed up my OS drive being called E: because I had a card reader plugged in while installing WinXP. :( I changed it back to C:, and then it would not boot.. lol. I even did the fixmbr and tried a repair install. Nothing worked. But, next time when you install windows, unplug everything except your OS drive you will be using. That way it will be your C: drive for sure. I've ran into problems with certain software programs that didn't like the drive being called anything else but "C:".

If you don't want to re-install XP, and your large hard drive that is only showing 127gb is all backed up, format it all and delete the partitions, then format it to NTFS correctly as one big partition, or however you want it.
 
Make sure and slipstream SP2 onto your WinXP disc (you'll obviously need a blank CD and a burner) to avoid these kinds of headaches completely in the future.

If you're going to backup your shit and reformat, DEFINATELY make sure your WinXP disc is an SP2 disc, otherwise you'll be in the same damn boat all over again.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
 
aftermarket format tools like diskkeeper can expand partitions to fill the whole disk.
 
hey
get like partition magic 8. when you enter the program, you'll see that you have a disk that part of it is unallocated. just partition those unto the....partition you already have. and you won't get the full 160 GB you will only get somewhere around 150g.
 
Well, after much fuss and muss, some corrupted files and a headache, I've decided to completely reformat with nothing else plugged in as w1retap suggested. I also deleted the partition that was on my "C" drive. Now at least the drive with Windows on it is C - hopefully I'll get my full HD as well. :cool:
 
So, now I have a fresh install of windows on the C drive (yay), but it won't recognize my Maxtor (storage) drive. The BIOS sees it, but the OS doesn't. Any reason for this?
 
G-Nome said:
So, now I have a fresh install of windows on the C drive (yay), but it won't recognize my Maxtor (storage) drive. The BIOS sees it, but the OS doesn't. Any reason for this?


Go into the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage Management. From there you can partition the drive and assign it a drive letter as well as format it.
 
Blue Falcon said:
Go into the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage Management. From there you can partition the drive and assign it a drive letter as well as format it.

it's actually called "Disk Management", but he's right about everything else :p
 
Oh, duh. The noob in me is coming out more and more lately. :p Now, for one last question.

Everything seems to be working fine, except that now it randomly reboots for no apparent reason. I've checked the temps, and it can't be that - there're plenty of fans/good airflow. It seems to happen most when I'm using WMP 11, but not always, so I don't think it's that. Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this?
 
List complete total specs of your system, bios settings, etc.
 
Pentium D 930 w/ AC Freezer 7 Pro
Abit AW8
HIS X800XL
2GB Corsair VS RAM
Enermax Liberty 500W
80GB WD IDE HD/160GB Maxtor SATA HD
Pioneer DVD-111D
Onboard sound

BIOS is set at default - no overclocking or anything.
 
hmm... well, since you just re-formatted, install all the proper updated drivers. Make sure if you need to specify timings and voltages for your memory that those are setup as well.

Random restarts can be a number of things.. try another power supply after doing any software/bios/driver tweaking if the problem still exists.
 
something i'll recommend is checking the IRQs of your devices. open device manager and check your vid card, sound card, and perhaps any other components to see what IRQ they are using. if any major components are using the same one then it could be a problem.

it'll tell you on the resources tab of the device properties.

if this is the case, then take out one of those components (or disable it in BIOS) and start up the system. Obviously if it's the vid card then you won't be able to go to windows. just power on, then power off and re-insert or enable that component and boot again.
 
Back
Top