HD Not showing up?

Porphyria

Limp Gawd
My brother wanted me to put all my old spare parts into his dell and upgrade it a bit ( gave him some more ram, nice gforce, a soundblaster live, and I put in his HD from his old comp so he could have all his stuff back on it ). Everything is fine except the HD. I have the jumper settings correct and his main is on master, and the one I put in is on slave. The slaved one has windows ME and the master is windows XP. Well it seems fine and boots into XP, however, the HD I put in doesn't show up in his "My Computer". I looked in the BIOS, and the bios is showing it, but for some reason windows XP won't recognize it. Anyone have any ideas?

Btw, good to be back on [H].

go to control panel and go to proformance and mantaince and go to adiminsistrave tools and go to computer management and click on disk management, if it showing there or not then post back

If you're trying to go for dual boot settings you have to reinstall everything....WinME first then WinXP....but you can also try pressing F8 as it will let you choose which operating system you would want to use when you reboot.......

BUMP!!!

Peace,
henessey

we aren't trying to dual boot, he just wants it to show up as a disk in his "Computer" so he can access its files and what not. (Like what I do, I have one disk as back up and one with XP on it).

Let me go look on his Control Panel.

Viper..

It shows up, however, it says it is active, but it hasn't been assigned a drive letter..

Do I need something like partitionmagic to set it "un-invisible"? I believe it can do something like this?

if, it doesnt tell you that you dont have to format then all you have to do is give it a drive letter, play around and get it to show up and your all good (sorry not that good with xp to tell you exactly where to go and what to hit but you should see it when your in there)

Partition Magic says the hard drive is partioned as "type 44" , therfor I can't do ANYTHING with it.. this is driving me nuts. Any help?

Back