• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD not showing up in mycomputer - help!

Bob dole

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
178
I took my 160 gb Sata 150 drive from my old pc and dumped everything I wanted to back up and keep (music, resume's, COD profiles, etc.) with the intent of using it as a backup of storage for my new 500 gb Sata 300 drive. The problem is the 160gb does not show up in my computer but it does show in the device manager and in my Seagate Discwizard (it says the drive is unsupported). I've enabled the drive in bios and it shows it in bios, the seagate utilities, device manager, but not with the rest of my drives. I partitioned the 500 gb into 5 drives (mainly 20gb and one big one). I did notice that my 160 gb has a firmware of 8.05 while the 500 gb used SD15. Is there a reason why it's not accessable or available? Do the firmware versions have to be the same? When I installed windows I did not select scsi I just plugged the two HD's in to seperate Sata ports on my mobo and expected it to work.

Pics of said scenario

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/lewdogg21/OSHDProblem.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/lewdogg21/HDnotworking.jpg
 
I'm assuming the drives are not RAIDed

go into control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management

does the drive show up there?

you may have to do an "import foreign disk"

if that's already been done, you may have to assign it a drive letter if it conflicts with another already on your system..

^^Those are the simple solutions

If you do all that and it still doesn't show up or it says it's an unformatted partition you have a more serious problem.. Windows doesn't always seem to like it when you transfer a disk with Dynamic Partitions from one machine to another.. There are tools that fix this problem though..

--mike
 
leemik - I do know that the drive letter which it was assigned in my old box is the same as one of my new partitions. You may have solved it for me. I'll look into it when I get home tonight.
 
In computer management >>>>>disk management that disk is listed as Disk 0 and when I right click it all options are greyed out except "delete partition". Even "Activate Partition" is greyed out.

There is a 20 gig OS partition on the 160gb disk but I don't want to wipe out both it and all the stored materials I have. I'm at an impasse.

Edit: Pic shown below:

HDnotworking.jpg



"OS" drive = 160 gb HD from old pc with all my valuable stuff on it

OSHDProblem.jpg
 
Well, your pictures are just a little to blurry to make out your drive letters, but here is something you can try.

If the drive letters on the 500 gig drive are conflicting with the 160 drive, you may have to change them on the 500 gig drive first before you can change things on the 160 drive. Unfortunately, if it is duplicate C: partitions, you won't be able to change the boot partition's drive letter.

Also, you mentioned that the drive showed up in Seatools, but did you run the full diagnostics on the drive? They are non destructive.

I have run into this issue before, but I did not have any problem fixing it, or I would remember more details of the situation.

Don
 
My resident tech guy suggested maybe windows was trippin due to the OS trying to load on the backup drive and suggested I try a external sata drive enclosure to usb. Will probably pick one up tomorrow.
 
I'm pretty sure that I have done that before, and had no problem changing the drive letter. I think there may be something more going on here.

I don't think an external enclosure will help, as the drive letter info is on the drive, but it can't hurt to try.

Don
 
External HD enclosure does not work. It is detected as a USB drive but I have the same exact issue with disk management and my computer. I've tried it on both my desktop and laptop. I'm wondering if when I changed the partition name from it's default name to "OS" I didn't assign a drive #. Laptop HD is C: On my desktop it's E:.

No drive C in use on the desktop. I'm lost.......... :(

Is there anyway to boot off the OLD hd and somehow install the mobo drivers or at least get it to load to desktop so I can manually transfer the files over?
 
You may be able to boot from like an Ubuntu Live CD that may allow you to access the drive. I have never done it, but Ubuntu may allow you to read NTFS partitions.

Don
 
Back
Top