HD + Memory ?

scottmkq

n00b
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
3
Hi, new to all this stuff. Have office w/5 people. Buying a PEdge SC1420 Server. Will contain 2 73GB SCSI HD's 10K RPM. Will this be enough space?? One HD will just mirror the other, so it only seems like 73GB HD. My laptop has 40GB alone. This doesn't seem like a lot of space for a server, or am I just missing something?

The memory I am considering is 2GB DDR2 400 MHZ, 4X512MB, Single Ranked DIMMs. Could someone explain the difference between that and "", 2X1GB, Dual Ranked DIMMs? Space or performance issue?

Thanks alot
 
I don't know what dell means by the DIMM ranking either. I don't know if it means that they are running in single channel mode (slower performance than dual channel) or if they are single-sided DIMMs vs. double-sided DIMMs (doesn't mean much performance wise).

As far as the HD space, what do you need to use the server for? If you're storing movies and stuff, 73gig probably isn't enough. If you're storing word documents and excel files, it should be plenty.
 
thanks for reply. certainly not movies. office setting, but we may still have some decent sized files. One thing I don't get about the way Dell describes its HD's in the catalog is they say this: 40GB* (up to 1TB*)
But then, I don't see anything about a 1TB hard drive on their site. Is the TB supposed to have something to do with compressed space??
Thanks
 
Nobody makes TB HDs yet. Maybe they mean total HD space if you add more HDs(I have 4x 250gig HDs in one of my systems so it technically has a TB of storage). Maybe they mean that their BIOSes theoretically support up to 1TB HDs. I don't know.
 
Back
Top