HD is stuttering on playback

Bones117

n00b
Well this has been a problem for a while now and I have tried several different codecs and such from different sources and have had little to no luck getting decent hd playback.

Whenever playing any HD video I get a very noticeable stutter in the video. The audio continues fine but just the video is doing it. This occurs with even 720p video. It gets even worse with 1080p.

I have currently just the codecs listed in the encoded HD playback stickied thread.

Here is what my HTPC currently has in it:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ at 2.70 GHz
4 gigs of RAM
ATI 4850HD

Currently I am running Windows 7. It is great but is that causing the problem? I installed 32 bit because that is what I had on hand. Would installing 64bit change my luck?

Thanks for any help.

Most likely it's because you're using some kind of post-processing that's raping your CPU. Disable it and see if you can spot any video quality difference. In my experience no postprocess is needed on HD video. I would uninstall any oddball codecs you have and just install CCCP with MPC-HC and try that.

What is the exact video type and in what container?

If its h264, get MPC-HC and set it up to do DXVA decoding.

MPC-HC can get downloaded from here: http://www.xvidvideo.ru/content/category/1/1/2/

Follow the guide here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276654 BUT, don't download AC3Filter, CoreAVC or Koepi's XviD, their functionality is built into MPC-HC. All you need is MPC-HC and Haalis Media Spliter.

It baffling why there is so much confusion on the net about playing back HD video. MPC-HC takes care of EVERYTHING. And since you have a GPU acceleration compatible card, you can use MPC-HC's DXVA acceleration to offload the processing.

Since you said you followed the sticky, you should have CoreAVC. CoreAVC can playback really high bitrate videos on CPUs much slower than yours. Ensure that CoreAVC is actually being used when you play your videos first.

Since you said you followed the sticky, you should have CoreAVC. CoreAVC can playback really high bitrate videos on CPUs much slower than yours. Ensure that CoreAVC is actually being used when you play your videos first.

This is true, but why pay for CoreAVC when he can offload the video to his GPU for free.

I'm not saying he should, but if he followed the sticky (like he said he did) then he already has it and has already paid for it, so why not use it?

Didn't we go over this exact issue in another thread?

1. Do a fresh install of Windows 7.
2. Install proper drivers.
3. Download MPC-HC and drop it onto your desktop.
4. Go into MPC's preferences and set the renderer for EVR.
5. Drop your h.264 movie into MPC-HC and it will play with DXVA hardware acceleration.

It was in the sticky thread.. you didn't follow what it said.

what if you would want to use MPC-HC WITHIN something like Mediaportal?

Easy. MediaPortal lets you use an external video player. All you had to do is run config and change tell it to use an external player for all media options there.

Back