HD HTPC ?!

Phrik

Gawd
Building one as soon as I get some good suggestions. Got the money and etc., if needed to change.

The HD and BR drives will be external. Still researching as to what to grab for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drives, no burning capabilities necessary. Targeting to draw only around 200W power, as I will use it as my NAS box too. 24/7 ! If you have any experience as to setting up an HTPC for HD playback please let me know of any suggestion you could give me. I already have a 1080p TV.

Thanks folks !

Extra stuffs already in hand:
Asrock 939NF6G-VSTA - Socket 939, NForce 430, GeForce 6150SE
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ - Manchester core, Socket 939, with Thermalright Ultra 120
2 GB PC3200 RAM - generic, adding a simple heatspreader
Lian Li PC-A05 - silver, with 2 Sharkoon SilentEagle 1000 fans @ 9.5V
HDDS - 2x 500GB SATA, 1x 40GB IDE (boot drive)

To Buy:
Vista Ultimate - GOT IT
Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra - GOT IT

Just Bought:
Gigabyte GV-NX86T256H - 8600GT, 256MB, GDDR3
X-Fi XtremeMusic
Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, watching movies in HD really is worth it :D
350W Be Quiet PSU, quiet....................... ;)

Under Analysis:
Blu-Ray drive, gotta be IDE so I can use an external enclosure.

ALL DONE ! Will post me pics soon...

Also, I will be running Vista Home Premium. (anyway, how is the file sharing settings on Vista Home Premium though, is it like XP Home, or like XP MCE at least ?)

If you want to go HD (HD DVD, Blue Ray) then you're going to need a better video card, I highly doubt your GTO has HDCP for this.

So, go with a 8600GT (or GTS) or a 2600XT and make sure that it has HDCP.

If you want to go HD (HD DVD, Blue Ray) then you're going to need a better video card, I highly doubt your GTO has HDCP for this.

So, go with a 8600GT (or GTS) or a 2600XT and make sure that it has HDCP.

Note to self, HDCP.

I did notice that the box on the X1800 has the H.264 / HD-DVD / Blu-Ray logos, so I was thinking it might work. But if not, I will go for the ATI 2600 XT. Does it have to be the XT ? They have a 50 EUR price difference in this country, between Pro and XT.

How about the other specs, all good ? Will be adding a X-Fi Music soundcard too.

Note to self, HDCP.

I did notice that the box on the X1800 has the H.264 / HD-DVD / Blu-Ray logos, so I was thinking it might work. But if not, I will go for the ATI 2600 XT. Does it have to be the XT ? They have a 50 EUR price difference in this country, between Pro and XT.
The X1800 might have HDCP but I don't see any mention of any of Gecube's X1800 series cards having HDCP. Either way, the 2600 series (no, it doesn't really matter between the XT or the Pro. I just used XT cause ATI's retarded naming convention confuses me from generation to generation.) makes for a much better video card when you take into account your slow CPU (even if the GTO supported HDCP it doesn't offer H264/VC-1 acceleration so it's going to be mostly CPU bound and H264, which is used mostly in Blue Ray movies, eats CPUs for breakfast) you'll want a video card that offloads as much H264 content from the CPU.

Now that I think about it, the X1000 series offered partial offloading of H264. It'll still eat up your CPU though.
How about the other specs, all good ?
They look good.
Will be adding a X-Fi Music soundcard too.
Why? You don't need it, unless your gaming you don't really need a sound card (unless the onboard doesn't offer digital out which is something you might need depending on your sound system).

why does it have to hdpc? cant it still work none the less through dvi inputs? i dont udnerstand the difference between them

How bad does it eat up CPU resources anyway ? I mean specially on an 3800+ X2 ? Worst than gaming in high-highest video settings compared on maybe like WoW ?

With the soundcard requirement, I will be buying a nice speaker set, willing to go around 400-500 EUR. So that's why I need a good soundcard.

This box will only serve media files and some data files and specially my HTPC. No other softwares will be installed, except for the HD playback drivers, video/audio codecs, internet security software and nothing else (most likely).

How bad does it eat up CPU resources anyway ? I mean specially on an 3800+ X2 ? Worst than gaming in high-highest video settings compared on maybe like WoW ?
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2886
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2977
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3047
With the soundcard requirement, I will be buying a nice speaker set, willing to go around 400-500 EUR. So that's why I need a good soundcard.
I forgot, you'll need an Xfi to decode TrueHD.

Any 5.1 or 7.1 sound card will work for TrueHD, the PowerDVD player is doing the sound decoding and outputting individual analog channels to the sound card. I'd still recommend a nicer soundcard such as an X-Fi for best quality sound over analog.

For the rest..

- Vista Home Premium or Ultimate
- Nvidia 8500/8600 graphics card with HDCP
- HDCP enabled display
- PowerDVD 7.3 with latest updates

Any 5.1 or 7.1 sound card will work for TrueHD, the PowerDVD player is doing the sound decoding and outputting individual analog channels to the sound card. I'd still recommend a nicer soundcard such as an X-Fi for best quality sound over analog.
What you need for this is just a solid sound card with good DACs.

What you need for this is just a solid sound card with good DACs.

Agreed. While sending the signal via HDMI 1.3 in the near future to a good receiver will be possible, I am very edgy on trusting that somebody won't "update" the spec. Unelss you have a high end receiver which takes updates, your current receiver could be at a loss. My preference right now for a HT is to buy a decent receiver for your typical devices and pipe discrete audio lines from your HTPC. This gives you the largest flexbility while also keeping the most cash in your wallet.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2886
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2977
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3047
I wonder why I haven't stumble on these information on my research... but thanks dude ! Great information. It answered all my question, and even answered questions that I was about to ask before reading those reviews. Awesome linkage !

The noise filters is what is left in this whole issue. It can be turned on and off with the nvidia drivers, accdg. to my understanding. But not with the ATI stuffs. But of course studios will improve in time.

Software wise, PowerDVD for nVIDIAs WinDVD for both nVIDIA and ATI... hmm... ATI 2600XT 512 MB is around 80 EUR cheaper in this country against 8600 GTS... There will be absolutely no gaming on this rig.

I will go combi with 2600XT and WinDVD ! And put the rest of my bucks on good 7.1 speakers.

Good decision ?

Thanks for everything folks !

Make sure your HDTV accepts the proper input resolution. Otherwise you will be in the same boat as I am... either a stand alone player, new tv, or watch on a craptastic res.

If your HDTV does not accept the proper native resolution via HDMI, then get a stand alone player.

But if you want to gamble, go with the ATI product and hope the drivers and HDCP work right. :p

But if you want to gamble, go with the ATI product and hope the drivers and HDCP work right. :p
I would suggest a 8600GT too, I've been very happy with the experience I've had with my 8500GT in Vista.

Make sure your HDTV accepts the proper input resolution. Otherwise you will be in the same boat as I am... either a stand alone player, new tv, or watch on a craptastic res.

If your HDTV does not accept the proper native resolution via HDMI, then get a stand alone player.

Sorry, my knowledge in this whole HD thing is still at a newbie state. What do you mean with your last sentence exactly ? :confused:

I'd suggest PowerDVD and a 2600Pro (since you won't be doing any gaming).

I thought my understanding PowerDVD ain't running well with ATI, will check again :D

I would suggest a 8600GT too, I've been very happy with the experience I've had with my 8500GT in Vista.

Is there a big difference with 8500GT and 8600GT with the decoding results and impact to CPU ? I'm looking, researching and studying thoroughly so I can get the best bang for me bucks, since it's a 24/7 system, I also think of the power consumption.

I'm very open to suggestions, comments, and yes I'm researching well.

Sorry, my knowledge in this whole HD thing is still at a newbie state. What do you mean with your last sentence exactly ? :confused:

Some TV's has a problem or can only produce a limited resolution with a PC-TV interface using an HDCP compliant method.

For instance, my tv does nice resolutions when I use my 15pin vga connector, all the way up to native resolution. But when I go to use DVI or HDMI, I am limited to 640x480 resolution. And in order to watch HD content such as bluray or hddvd, you need HDCP delivery compliance... in other words, HDMI or DVI..

A lot of TV's has this issue, but there are quite a few out there that doesn't have the issue (they can display native resolutions via HDMI or DVI).

Some TV's has a problem or can only produce a limited resolution with a PC-TV interface using an HDCP compliant method.

For instance, my tv does nice resolutions when I use my 15pin vga connector, all the way up to native resolution. But when I go to use DVI or HDMI, I am limited to 640x480 resolution. And in order to watch HD content such as bluray or hddvd, you need HDCP delivery compliance... in other words, HDMI or DVI..

A lot of TV's has this issue, but there are quite a few out there that doesn't have the issue (they can display native resolutions via HDMI or DVI).

Interesting....................... is there any way to determine this before hand of buying a HDTV ?

Quick HDCP question.

How to "really" identify the different 8600 GT that are distributed that is "really" HDCP compliant.

I mean I see "HDCP Ready", "HDCP Capable", and etc. none of those words exactly mean that they are "compliant" to such standards.

So, if anyone has some known function HDCP compliant 8600 GT model, it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know what it is.

Cheers folks !

Hello there

Does anyone knows if I can output uncompressed audio (96khz-24bit, Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio) via Radeon HD2600pro HDMI port??

Thanks guys

No you can't, it only supports DD5.1 and DTS.

Currently from the PC, the only way you can get the DTS-HD and TrueHD audio is through analog. PowerDVD does the decoding, then you output 5.1 or 7.1 analog cables from the sound card to your receiver. :)

No you can't, it only supports DD5.1 and DTS.

Currently from the PC, the only way you can get the DTS-HD and TrueHD audio is through analog. PowerDVD does the decoding, then you output 5.1 or 7.1 analog cables from the sound card to your receiver.

Do you mean via spdif output???, I thought that the only way to get Dolby/DTS HD was via hdmi because of the bitrate

No, ATI chose not to support DTS-HD and TrueHD over their HDMI video/audio on the graphics card.

Do you mean via spdif output???, I thought that the only way to get Dolby/DTS HD was via hdmi because of the bitrate
Over analog. The way HDMI is implemented in PCs is not the same as it is one consumer devices (audio is handled differently, on the PC it's pretty much just SPDIF data routed through a video card). This is why you need a sound card if you want to go the HD DVD/Blue ray route.

This is why you need a sound card if you want to go the HD DVD/Blue ray route.

Right now I own an audigy 2 zs, how can I output the sound?? or I just need another soundcard like Auzentech or Creative X-FI???

PowerDVD does the decoding, then you output 5.1 or 7.1 analog cables from the sound card to your receiver.

Does anybody knows if WinDVD 8 platinum can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master???

HDCP works fine ?, from what i have read the issues are the HDMI audio output via the card people are having some issues with?

HDCP works fine ?, from what i have read the issues are the HDMI audio output via the card people are having some issues with?

Didn't work on the Gigabyte 2600Pro Silent HDCP I had. It took hours to even get the drivers to work under x32, and they would not even work under x64. Once I got it working, under x32, HDDVD playback was scaled down. Then the card overheated and I sent it back for a 8600GT which worked fine on the first try.

I don't get it, why does Intervideo goes along only with Nvidia?? what about ATI customers??

Does anybody knows why is this??
Because ATI's driver support is beyond horrible.

The thing I find humerous about power/win dvd...is the fact that it costs more the processor did in my HTPC =P

Back