• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD Display resolution question

Alpha736

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
224
I'm looking to buy an HD TV that I'll be using for not only TV and movies, but also for console and PC gaming. But I've read that some displays can be pretty picky when it comes to connecting them to windows, and it can be hard to get them to run at their native resolution when using the HDMI inputs on windows. Are there certain displays I should be looking for that don't have this problem. Should I be looking for displays that have a specific resolution such as 1280x720 vs 1260x768, or 1360x720 vs 1366x768?

I really like the features of this Toshiba Regza 37", but I've read people having problems getting it to run at it's native resolution on windows through the VGA or HDMI inputs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253074

Could someone please recommend a display that doesn't have this problem? I'm looking for 32" to 42", at least 3 HDMI inputs, and under $799 (will go $999 in extreme cases).
 
Well, you'll want something with *at least* 1920 x 1080, and thats about as big as resolutions go when in the TV market. Many people use them, but it's not ideal as a monitor for PC use unless you sit 4-5 feet away from your desk. I'd recommend getting a separate monitor for PC gaming/work, and nice 37/42 for the living room for movies/consoles.

The Westinghouse 42 inch TX was $1050 on amazon the other day.... I'd recommend that TV if you do plan on going this route. But it'd would be in your interest to get 20-24 inch monitor as well.
 
Well, you'll want something with *at least* 1920 x 1080, and thats about as big as resolutions go when in the TV market. Many people use them, but it's not ideal as a monitor for PC use unless you sit 4-5 feet away from your desk. I'd recommend getting a separate monitor for PC gaming/work, and nice 37/42 for the living room for movies/consoles.

The Westinghouse 42 inch TX was $1050 on amazon the other day.... I'd recommend that TV if you do plan on going this route. But it'd would be in your interest to get 20-24 inch monitor as well.

At 32" and 37" I've heard going higher than 720p is pretty pointless, because the display isn't big enough to notice a difference. Also, yes I will be using a seperate display as my primary computer monitor. I'm probably not going to go higher than 37" because I can't afford it, and 1920x1080 on such a display will probably not be needed.
 
Back
Top