HD Died...

asyork

2[H]4U
I had an 80 GB WD drive that decided to die during a Win XP reinstall. I was trying to install over the old install that had died due to a virus just so I could get to my data.

Now XP tells me that the partition is either no existant or too damaged to repair. I put the drive in my brother's box to try and salvage my data. Just from having the drive attached, his computer takes forever to boot and start the OS. When I tried to access the drive it took forever and then told me the drive isn't formated.

Does anyone know if the drive is dead or if somehow the partition just got corrupted somehow? I don't want to try too much with it until I can salvage my data... If my data is lost I won't be a happy camper, and no more WD drives for me.

If you want to get your data off the drive: here is something I read about that does work.

I was reading PC World one day and discovered this: Disconnect this drive, put in the freezer for five minutes or less, trust me this helped me out one day my HD crashed.
After five minutes or so, quickly hook this into another computer, make sure you move the jumpers to slave, boot the computer into an OS, get all the way into the Operating system and then you should be able to see the drive in My Computer. Ok from here on transfer the files that you need to save, you might get an hour out of it before it dies again.

If you have alot of files, repeat these steps again till you get all the data off. Then do what ever you need to do to get yourself back up and running again. And to get the data off of the machine you saved your data to, hook it up via a crossover network cable, or hook it up to a network and go from there.

Another thing to try to get your data off is to use the DOS commands to find your data and remove it, for DOS commands I don't know too much.

I'm Not sure if this helps, but it was worth a try.

Back