• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD Crash what should i do?

Inu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
2,023
Ok i have an 80 GB maxtor have had it for a while it just crashed or something but all i know is i dont have access to it doesnt show up in My Computer area. I can still se it on bootscreen and in BIOS. Is there ANY way at all to save the data before having to format? I imagine a restore point wouldnt help, if so how do i use a restore point?

AthlonXP 2400 266fsb (2x133)
HD 40GB Maxtor 80GB Maxtor
(1x512)Kingston PC2700 DDR333 RAM
A7V8X-X MOBO
 
ok all sudden its back not sure whats going on, scared the crap outta me, probably dying or something tho :( :confused:
 
u better get a new drive soon then. check ur cables too
 
I used to praise Maxtor, but no more. I have an 80 gig that will show up as a slave but not as master and it makes clicking noises like you hear when you shut down the computer. I don't know if I dare to zero-fill it.

Ever hear of a "Musical Maxtor"? Search google and see. My sister's 120 gig FDB suffers from this and is due to be RMA'd.

It's dying. Buy a new drive and back-up your precious data.
 
was too late poor thing died minute later, was like Click, BOING like a spring becoming unsprung. then a long SCREEEEEEENNNNNCH like something being scratched was horrible i almost cried. i feel like i just lost an appendage, i imagine leaving it out in the garage for the winter was a bad idea, it worked for 5 months tho :)
 
Back
Top