• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD cooling

Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
590
I'm putting 3 - 15K scsi drives in my new build. It'll get abit toasty in there. I have an old HD cooler slot type fan that I never used, but I was wondering if there's a better, reasonably priced solution. Any suggestions? Thanks...
 
Purchase a drive cage specially made for it. They've got a nice exhaust fan that sucks air across the drives.
 
_Korruption_ said:
Point an intake fan right at the hard drives.
There's an 80mm fan in the front of the cage. Don't know if that's gonna be enough, although I've never had a problem with these drives in the past. I just never had 3 in a row before...
 
My 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda used to run at 50C. I put ONE 80mm fan on the bay under it so it would blow air directly at the drive, and it's temperatures dropped 20C. Literally, 20C. My case and CPU temps dropped because of this also.

Food for thought.
 
You know I just hooked up the front fan last night (I haven't got my X2 yet, so I'm running off an old Soyo P3 board just to check the drives and power connections). It was running so quiet, I didn't think it was doing much good. But I just checked the drives after 3 hours and I'd say they were at least 20 decrees C cooler. Maybe that'll be enough after all...
 
Back
Top