HD Audio Jacks source.

Jim@HiTek

n00b
What with the case and mobo manufacturers spitting out HDA (High Def Audio) mobos and dongles, I was hoping someone here on the HARD|Forum would know of a source for the unusual jacks they are using for the front panel headphone and mic jacks.

These HDA jacks are 3.5mm, stereo, 5-pin. Ground, Tip, Ring and two pins for an ISOLATED N.O. switch that closes when the stereo plug is inserted and signals the mobo audio circuit to switch off the rear jack.

An AC'97 jack is not the right jack. That jack has two switches that OPEN when a plug is inserted and they are NOT isolated.

The only source I've been able to find needs a minimum order of 10,000 pieces so can't do that. Mouser and DigiKey only have the AC'97 style. I've spent hours searching other distributors and on Google without success.

I'd like to have a green jack as mine is bad (high resistance on the right channel connector) but at this point I'd take any color as long as it's the right jack.

Help!

Thanks all. :D
Anyone have a source for the jacks?

Generally speaking, front panel outputs suck. You are better off getting an extension cable form monoprice or partsexpress

I have several extension cables to plug in back. In my situation it's just not as handy as the front panel jacks.

Well then would you mind explaining what the situation is? There are plenty of ways to solve this issue.

No problem. I live full time in an RV. The mid tower case (my computer size) lives in a cramped area. My main speakers, 2.1, plug into the rear jack. I'm hard of hearing so I need to use headphones on occasion in order to do Skype, or (since I need the speakers on loud) use the headphones during quiet hours in crowded RV parks.

I'd have to climb under the table to unplug the 2.1 speaker setup, even if it were plugged into the extension, to plug in my headphones. SO...it is much more convenient to be able to plug in my headphone in the front of the computer then either the back, or into an extension.

for my scratchbuilt case I went to the local PC scrap dealer and picked up an HD front dongle for free...chopped the USB part off the circuit board and made it work, I was unable to locate panel mount HD jacks for sale anywhere.

Behringer U-Control UCA202 would allow you to use either/or and would also probably improve the sound quality to boot.

Finding a HD case with appropriate dongle is of course possible, but there are scant computer recycling shops here 90 miles north of LA in California. Because of the strict laws and expense of running a business like that here.

I found them for sale here in the US, but I'd have to buy 10K, and wait for them to arrive from China. I searched for hours and hours...no luck finding any in stock in the US. I was hoping someone here on this forum had found them hiding somewhere that I missed.

I can try here in Tacoma, got 3 Korean run scrap shops here

they will not be panel mount, but circuit board mounted

Behringer U-Control UCA202 would allow you to use either/or and would also probably improve the sound quality to boot.

$30 to replace a $0.30 part isn't my style. But thanks for the suggestion. I actually have a very nice Sabrent USB device. But that's not the way I want to go. Just want to find a source for the jack itself.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can try here in Tacoma, got 3 Korean run scrap shops here

they will not be panel mount, but circuit board mounted

Thanks, jojo, keep in mind these are HDA jacks with the isolated singe switch. In-line 5 pins. They are nothing like the AC'97 jacks that are in millions of computer cases. I'm an electronics engineer (retired) so I'd have no problem with circuit board mount.

I'd be surprised if you can tell if the dongle is HDA or AC'97 so I'll just mention that recent dongles will have one or two female 10 pin (2X5) connectors. They should have a marking on them saying either AC'97 or HD...those with two 10 pin connectors will be both.

Thanks again for looking...

yeah, I am conversant with the difference between AC97 and Intel HD

18167d1333213642-optimized-applehda-realtek-alc-889-lion-old-hd-audio-front-panel-dongle-schematic.png

the resistor on pin 4 is the giveaway

Great!

BTW, my brand new ASUS mobo and my new case with the bad dongle...neither institute the pin #4 feature. Why? I don't know yet.

And it is obvious you know your dongles, jojo. Great working with you. Often I have to explain everything.

Last edited:
welcome to the [H]

I am actually pretty run-of-the-mill here. I have benefited greatly from the expertise on this forum.

Thanks! I hope to too.

:D

One thing I've noticed is that the Intel HDA specs have that 1K resistor on the HD setup but their docs call it an AC'97 sense. Another Intel screw up? Like RS232 when they reversed the pins 2&3? Who knows. That pin is a powered mic supply ground so it's not really necessary as no one uses powered mics much these days. I did back in the day, but newer mics are much more sensitive and selective with a wider band width and don't really need it.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the current sourced through the resistor on pin 4 alerted the mobo to the presence of the dongle

True, but the specs call it a AC'97 sense. Which makes no sense since you're plugging in an HD dongle. That's what's confusing me. And like I said, nether ASUS nor the case manufacturer added that feature. That lead is unconnected in both. Of course I've only seen two cases so far...

Well, I was beginning to think I'd not going to be able to find the jack until there are more in the pipeline. So I called Logisys (case manufacturer), they have a US phone number. A human answered right away, I gave the particulars, and they're sending me a new dongle.

Problem solved!

Not the way I wanted to do it, but at least I'll have a working, brand new, fancy computer.

Thanks everyone for your input.

No need, Jojo. Actually, I feel a little dumb about it. I did want to find the parts, so I was focused on that. Eventually, I realized that since it was during the warranty period I could contact the manufacturer.

In a few months I'll try to find the jacks again. I have a product in mind that could use that style. But I need small quantities, less then 1,000 so I have to wait until they're in the pipeline.

Thanks for the offer.

totally understand, I went through the same intensive search for the proper panel mount jacks

I am convinced they do not exist on the consumer market

Not yet they don't (exist on the consumer market). But soon the repair requests will make some US distributor buy the minimum 10,000 the manufacturer (at least the one I could find) is asking for. They are only $0.38 each in that quantity. A few years of HDA dongles and they'll be $0.11 or so. Or some Chinese distributor, (Aliexpress for instance), will start carrying them.

Back