HD and DVD Image Comparisons

Honestly, I only see enough of a difference in 2, maybe 3 of those pictures to really say "yeah, I see a difference there".

Part of the problem is you're veiwing this images on your (relative to a TV) small monitor. Blow up a standard def image on a 55" screen, and you'll have no problem telling the difference between SD and HD.

Part of the problem is you're veiwing this images on your (relative to a TV) small monitor. Blow up a standard def image on a 55" screen, and you'll have no problem telling the difference between SD and HD.

Very true, but also having said that, I'm not sure I'll ever get a 55" screen either

What is the HD source? Blu-ray? HD DVD?

Honestly, I see a difference in every picture.

Shot 7 shows a big increase in sharpness in the guy's hair.
Shot 11 the same, but in the beard.
Shots 10 and 12 I see more detail in the shadow areas of the picture.

Every picture to me shows an increase in color accuracy and contrast. This is especially apparent in the sky in shot 2, and slightly less so in shot 5. I find the color in the dude's face in shot 11 to be much more natural looking in the HD version.

for me the difference is not as drastic as the difference between sd and hd television. Certainly not worth replacing my dvds systematically.

What is the HD source? Blu-ray? HD DVD?

I honestly don't think any of the screen shots are from HD-DVD or Blu-ray. I think they were captured from a HDTV broadcast.

The guy obviously resized and resampled the images. The JPEGs have a load of artifacts and look like shit.

I wouldn't solely use these comparisons for the true difference between DVD and HD. I just thought it would be interesting to see some kind of difference.

Back