HD 6950 Displaying w/ Black Bars, Need Help!

Ltor

Limp Gawd
So I have freshly built my first pc and i've updated it's drivers but it's still giving me black bars on my acer H243H any idea why?

I would try a different monitor cable first. Black bars are typically not a driver issue, but a connectivity or hardware issue. If you haven't used that monitor before I would try another port on it or try hooking up another machine to the same input to make sure the input itself is working correctly. If I had to bet my money would be on a bad cable/connection. You could also check and see if your output refresh rate/resolution matches your monitor (this normally auto-detects correctly though). If none of that works I would reseat the card on the motherboard.

Last edited:
What games/applications? if it's Windows, then maybe try changing resolution settings? If that doesnt work, try a different display?

It's the only display I have and I use it for my htpc and xbox it works fine on those same with the hdmi cable. How do I reset my gpu and do i have to reinstall it's drivers if i do that?

Reseat, not reset. Take it out and put it back in.

I'd say check the resolution, the monitor settings, if that has anything that could do that.

Dam I feel like i'm so close to being done just need to figure out why this is happening and install my wireless n adapter and I'm done! Are there any general all incompesing system tests i can do to make sure all my components are functioning at 100 percent? I dont wanna do a 24 test for just ram and what not.

Sure I'll get a screenshot 1 sec...

Edit: well that doesn't work, cant capture the black bars as print screen doesn't recognize them as part of the screen real-estate.

Are you talking black bars at the top and bottom (or sides) of the screen? If so, it is because the resolution you have set for the graphics doesn't match the resolution of the monitor (and the monitor has scaling off). So if you have 1920x1080 set in the graphics, and the monitor is 1920x1200, you'll get black bars at the top and bottom (like letterboxing on a DVD).

I have bars all around though not just top and bottom

What are your resolution settings in Windows? Again, if you have, say 1280x720 as your resolution, and the monitor has scaling off, then it will show the picture using just the pixels in the middle of the screen, with black space all around.

Just right click on the desktop, select Screen Resolution from the pop-up menu, and make sure 1920x1080 (Recommended) is what is set.

its at 1920 by 1080

Edit, I think I may have figured it out. Went to catalyst control and found the overscan/undersan slider which was set in about the middle and moved it all the way to 0% overscan. Is that what your guys are set at? Did I do something right for a change?

Last edited:
If the bars are around all 4 edges and never move, it probably was underscan, so yes, that's the right setting to change. You should only ever see it with HDMI though, if it comes up with DVI then that's a little alarming.

its at 1920 by 1080

Edit, I think I may have figured it out. Went to catalyst control and found the overscan/undersan slider which was set in about the middle and moved it all the way to 0% overscan. Is that what your guys are set at? Did I do something right for a change?

Yes, if you are using an HDMI connection you need to set overscan to 0. This one took me a few days of searching on Google to solve when I first picked up the LG 32" LCD using HDMI.

Back