RavenX

Limp Gawd
My current system:
Asus P5K Deluxe
Q6600 oced to 3.4 gigs,
4 gigs of ram,
PC Power and Cooling 750watt Power supply
150gig raptor

I game at 1920x1200, and would like to know if I were to get an HD5870, if my system would hinder or bottleneck the graphics card in reaching its max performance at those resolutions? Thanks.

Very little if at all I would think. Even if it does a little, you're going to see a huge performance gain in modern games unless you already have a last gen high end card, and even then it is still going to be big. I'm still on an e6600 @ 3.6ghz and use 19x12, works great. Not necessary to go for an i7 system just yet unless money is of no concern, but if that was the case you'd have probably already done that long ago :).

Not much, unless its a cpu intense game. But I'd try to get that Q6600 to at least 3.6.

yeah i've tried to run it at 3.6 but it just got unstable, the cpu temps got pretty high and was already at 1.5volts. Couldn't even load windows since it kept getting the bsod. I've found for my cpu, 3.4 was the sweet spot.

yup, have all that set, and at 1.45v 3.6 I couldn't boot into windows, kept getting bsod. Messed around with a few settings and 3.4 is where its stable.

Uhmm, I had a similar problem with my E5300 and G31 board for testing/benching purposes, wouldn't go over 3.6GHZ, went into the BIOS and changed the Hard drive controller to Enhanced Mode rather then the default Auto setting, and viola 4GHZ and higher. Try that.

what board did u have? cuz i have a G31 board and my Q9550 wont go over 3.6 ghz too... i got the G31m ES2L.

lol G31M-ES2L. Try changing the Hard Drive controller to Enhanced mode and that should do it. I think its in Advanced Chipset Features > Change Hard drive controller to Enhanced Mode. Also turn off EIST and Speedstep.

Last edited:
Back