• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD-555 or HD-595

mchen01

n00b
Joined
Jul 29, 2007
Messages
38
Hey,

I need help deciding which set of headphones to get.

I play lots of FPS games, listen to a bit of music (all genres), and watch a fair bit of TV shows and movies.

I'm currently using a very old SB Live! 16-bit PCI sound card. Would I need to purchase a new sound card if I got either of these headphones? If so, which sound card would do a decent job?

Thanks.:):):)
 
Well, the Denons would be so much better if they weren't coming through a soundcard, so I agree with chen. The AD900's would be great in your price range.
 
What kind of onboard sound do you have? Onboard "HD" audio nowadays should easily best the SB Live. Back to the topic at hand, the difference between the HD 595 and 555 isn't that big. Keep that in mind when comparing prices. They're about the same sound signature wise. Maybe the 555 is slightly bassier and the 595 has better detail.

The AD#00 series are open air, right? I remember reading poor reviews on them at head-fi. I can't really remember the issues (sorry too lazy to look them up :D). The Audio Technica A#00 (closed back) are often compared with the Sennheiser HD5#5 series since they're supposed to be "jack of all trades" type headphones at similar price ranges. The difference being the Sennheisers have a good midrange, but weak highs and poor bass impact (decent quality though). The AT's being the opposite possessing good highs and lows, but a distant midrange. The closed back nature of the AT's shouldn't really be much of feature given that they offer little to no isolation.
 
Back
Top