HD 4870X2 worthwhile?

Justin Cider

Weaksauce
I have a chance to get a 4870X2 for a pretty good deal.I wanted to know if this card will last me for awhile.This would be the most I have spent on a video card.I just wanted some opinons from guys who have it and what their experiences with it are.The card looks good from all the reviews but I think people who own it are a better source of info.Thanks in advance

I sure like mine. Ive got it watercooled so the temps are in the high 30's so it no longer heats up the room! ;) You might lay off until nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnvidia gets there 295's out. Just for a full test comparisson. Just an idea.

Well there's no such thing as "future proof" in the computer industry (unless you're maybe talking about motherboard sockets), so don't get your head rapped around the idea that it will play every game on high for the next xx years. However, if there's any video card on the market that's worthwhile, it's probably the HD 4870X2

Whoa, whoa.

Best post the res of your specs and what you currently have fist, it is not always the best card for the system you use.

Your system is very decent, I have the same CPU and have oc'd it to 3Ghz as well. I'd love to get a single 4870x2 to replace the dual 3870x2's that I currently have. With the games I run (bioshock, grid, shadows of the empire, lego indy and HL2) a 4870x2 might be overkill for my 24 inch monitor

Your system is very decent, I have the same CPU and have oc'd it to 3Ghz as well. I'd love to get a single 4870x2 to replace the dual 3870x2's that I currently have. With the games I run (bioshock, grid, shadows of the empire, lego indy and HL2) a 4870x2 might be overkill for my 24 inch monitor

I almost did the same thing. But I need two video cards to run my 3 monitors. So I settled on two 4870's. Just ordered them from NewEgg.

Thanks for the info,I think might as well do it

It's a good card, and should last you for quite some time.
But I'd wait it out for a bit....prices will only go down...and
they should be going down fast with the way things are.

Thanks to every one that replied,I was able to pick one up for $400 CDN shipped! Great card a little warmer then I like, I guess I'll have to just set it up on water.

Back