• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD 4850 video(s)

evoluti0n

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
85
When the HD4850's came out I really wanted to see a few videos of gameplay, how well it looked etc. I couldnt find any when I created the first video so I dusted-off my Mini DV cam and posted a few videos on Youtube. I created these for those of you that are wanted to see these cards in action.

These videos are done with crossfire enabled. Max settings (high & very high in Crysis)

HD 4850 - Grid

HD 4850 - Call of Duty 4 (Single Player)

HD 4850 - Crysis

Hope these help some of you considering these cards Don't expect a great review video...its just gameplay to show you how they perform so you can make your own assumptions. :)
 
Nice, I like the Crazytown - Butterfly remix in the COD4 video.
 
I like it, Nice videos. Im sticking to one card cuz of mobo. very nice though.
 
great videos evoluti0n. this kind of thing is helpful for people considering these cards. only 1 suggestion - next time have fraps displaying your fps.
 
Even though I already have them, it's nice for people who are considering them who want a rough sense of what it's going to look like.
 
Thanks for the vids. GRID looks too good to resist. I'm definitely going to pick that up, once I finally get my new card.
 
Hey next time you play Grid, play with the incar veiw, I've noticed on my 8800gts that the frames drop about 5-8 , probably because it has to render the cars interior. let us know what kind of frames you get with the incar view.
 
Bought my 2nd 4850 today but i have a 975x chipset mboard so not sure what kind of performance i will get. Have the parts for an upgrade ready to buy at a local shop if I decide I want to go with an x48 board and a faster processor.

BTW, I noticed in your video that the vehicles have missing tires. I noticed that as well when I installed the 4850 the crysis vehicles all have random missing tires. The rim will be there but no tire. Shoot the rim and the tire explodes and then the rim is on the ground. Bugs...
 
Thanks for the vids. GRID looks too good to resist. I'm definitely going to pick that up, once I finally get my new card.

Beware, grid is full of bugs and crashes, issues, etc. It is one seriously AWESOME game if you can deal with the random bugs and crashes but it is a frustratingly buggy game. Make sure you install the 1.1 patch before you change your resolution and AA settings or they wont save. It boggles the mind how that game ever made it through beta testing. They are supposed to be working on another patch to fix the remaining issues but they aren't doing it in a hurry.
 
Beware, grid is full of bugs and crashes, issues, etc. It is one seriously AWESOME game if you can deal with the random bugs and crashes but it is a frustratingly buggy game. Make sure you install the 1.1 patch before you change your resolution and AA settings or they wont save. It boggles the mind how that game ever made it through beta testing. They are supposed to be working on another patch to fix the remaining issues but they aren't doing it in a hurry.
Thanks for the tip. I probably won't pick up a card for a few more weeks at least, then I'll check out the demo first. Hopefully, the new patch will be out soon enough.
 
Beware, grid is full of bugs and crashes, issues, etc. It is one seriously AWESOME game if you can deal with the random bugs and crashes but it is a frustratingly buggy game. Make sure you install the 1.1 patch before you change your resolution and AA settings or they wont save. It boggles the mind how that game ever made it through beta testing. They are supposed to be working on another patch to fix the remaining issues but they aren't doing it in a hurry.
Wow, I have run into NOTHING like that. Now, I downloaded it from Steam, so it may be different than the retail version (I've seen stuff like that happen with steam dl's before).
Amazing game, however.
 
Thanks for the vids. GRID looks too good to resist. I'm definitely going to pick that up, once I finally get my new card.

I was just thinking the same. Even though YouTube has a shitty quality, still it looks like graphics and game physics seem to be really nice, and controlling the car seems to be challenging to say at least.
 
I was just thinking the same. Even though YouTube has a shitty quality, still it looks like graphics and game physics seem to be really nice, and controlling the car seems to be challenging to say at least.

I took a look at the Crysis video, and at Very High (what resolution were you running at?) I certainly didn't see anything in the realm of stutter or jaggies. (Remember, $400 pair of graphics cards!) If you were running above 1600x1200/1680x1050, I may have to seriously reconsider both CF and Crysis (my current 19" CRT is typically run at 1600x1200, and if I do replace it with a FP, it must be capable of 1680x1050, at minimum).

The entry point for stellar performance in Crysis, it appears, has Dramatically Lowered.
 
Wow, I have run into NOTHING like that. Now, I downloaded it from Steam, so it may be different than the retail version (I've seen stuff like that happen with steam dl's before).
Amazing game, however.

You probably bought it with the 1.1 patch in it already if you got it from steam. The game generates a crash error on exit every time you quit the game after installing 1.1. It happens to many other people on their forums and is something with 1.1. The game is really amazing though. Every time I drive that C5R through San Fran shifting with the g25 I am as giddy as a school girl.

The 4850's in crossfire is kick a$$. Even with an old 975x Intel Bad Axe 2 motherboard at PCIE 1.1 with one slot at 16x and the other at 8x (both running at 8x with dual cards), I am getting double the frame rates in some games and 25-50% better in every other game. Crysis went from 24fps to 32fps in 1680x1050 with all at high. Crysis is smooth as can be now. The weird thing is that when I first was playing crysis my framerate was HALF of what it was with a single card UNTIL I ran the 'optimize settings' button in the graphics tab. After that it must have detected both cards because it set everything to high and away she went with glass smooth frame rates. Maybe some of the people seeing no increase in crysis with crossfire are not reoptimizing their graphics in crysis by selecting this option? I got HUGE increases in frame rates in every game on this old 975x chipset board with an e6600 @3.2ghz. I'm guessing that with a new x48 board that the performance would be even better! As long as my box runs as good as it does now with both of these cards then I think I am going to stand pat until nehalem comes out.
 
You probably bought it with the 1.1 patch in it already if you got it from steam. The game generates a crash error on exit every time you quit the game after installing 1.1. It happens to many other people on their forums and is something with 1.1. The game is really amazing though. Every time I drive that C5R through San Fran shifting with the g25 I am as giddy as a school girl.

The 4850's in crossfire is kick a$$. Even with an old 975x Intel Bad Axe 2 motherboard at PCIE 1.1 with one slot at 16x and the other at 8x (both running at 8x with dual cards), I am getting double the frame rates in some games and 25-50% better in every other game. Crysis went from 24fps to 32fps in 1680x1050 with all at high. Crysis is smooth as can be now. The weird thing is that when I first was playing crysis my framerate was HALF of what it was with a single card UNTIL I ran the 'optimize settings' button in the graphics tab. After that it must have detected both cards because it set everything to high and away she went with glass smooth frame rates. Maybe some of the people seeing no increase in crysis with crossfire are not reoptimizing their graphics in crysis by selecting this option? I got HUGE increases in frame rates in every game on this old 975x chipset board with an e6600 @3.2ghz. I'm guessing that with a new x48 board that the performance would be even better! As long as my box runs as good as it does now with both of these cards then I think I am going to stand pat until nehalem comes out.
I am going to go try optimizing crysis... see if that works.

But yea, GRID. I live near detroit, so swerving through Greektown, past cobo and under the Renaissance Center is priceless. It's pretty accurate on locale too, though not enough crime, and no shooting... Kinda kills the realism... ;)
 
Back
Top