• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD 3650 + P4, does that make sense?

/rant/

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2008
Messages
384
I have an opportunity to get a relatively cheap HD 3650 (AGP, 512MB DDR2 - original buyer doesn't have AGP) for my older socket 478 system (which I intend to keep by the way :)) with a P4 running at 3.0 GHz with 2 GBs RAM. I am aware that bottlenecking will be an issue, but I wonder if I would actually see any improvement over the 7600 GS (AGP, 256MB DDR2; passive cooling) I am currently using. I'll be doing some video playback (HD content likely to pop up from time to time) and mild gaming (that is, CoD4 and stuff on a 19-inch screen). I thought my games would probably not run faster, but look better because I could finally crank up visual settings such as shadows which is currently impossible :p

OS is XP, Vista and Ubuntu. Oh, and I'm using two monitors of course... should I go for it and spend a few bucks on this?
 
Go for it. The 7600GS is a slow card and you will definitely see a nice improvement. Your 3.0GHz P4 should be able to handle even the HD 3850 AGP if you are playing at a high resolution.
 
Well, thanks! I'll go grab that little piece of hardware later today.
 
Back
Top