HD 2900xt

jeebus

Weaksauce
Recently I bought a hd2900xt, and I RMA's back to Newegg since it wasnt working. The problems were: Artifacts, drivers wouldnt install at all, and when I manually installed them the system locked up and never booted up. My brand new card has, the exact same problem.

Im running visat 64 bit, and memtest says my system is 100% pefect and fine.

Just by putting the card in, I get small 1 pixel artifcts along any color changed or object edges, when I install the 7.6 drivers, it cannot do so and refers to an INF file cannot be located, but when I install in safe mode it says it cant detect the card.

If I use device manager then the system restarts, and stays blank and never boots up unless I enter safemode.

Wow! What's your motherboard, PSU, and previous card? Did your previous card die or is this just an upgrade?

Amd x2 4000+
K9 board, never gave me problems,
DRR3 corsair xms ram
prev card:x1800xt, upgrade, never gave me a problem.
PSU: corsair hx 620 watt

everything works fine except for the 2 hd 2900xt's

Wonderful, now going back to my x1800, the drivers wont install for that either !

That's a bit fucked up. Could it be a .NET Framework issue or.. um.. if all else fails, can you afford a reformat? I can't think of anything. :confused:

Its getting worse....

Every time I restart my comp, I need to now unplug and restart my modem so I can hook up to the internet, Im begining to look at the .NET myself, is there an easy way to reinstall that?

If the card is out, the drivers removed, and you're still going down hill, it sure wasn't your card. Just off hand, it sounds like RAM to me. What does Orthos or OCCT tell you? You meant DDR2, of course. Is that board the MSI K9A (AMD580X/ATI3200CF)? I've done Vista64 on that chipset, and the drivers are tricky to get right. RAM, system drivers. Just two areas to check, or just bite the bullet and reinstall. Good luck with it.

Amd x2 4000+
K9 board, never gave me problems,
DRR3 corsair xms ram
prev card:x1800xt, upgrade, never gave me a problem.
PSU: corsair hx 620 watt

everything works fine except for the 2 hd 2900xt's

1 or 2 HD 2900's? If 2 you need more power

i saw Vista 64bit and cringed

Nah, the 2900XT rocks in Vista64! Vista64 + catalyst + reboot = working card. If it doesn't, then either it's a bum card or a system configuration problem (wrong drivers, RAM timings too tight, whatever). Did you download the Catalyst suite with an accelerator? Was antivirus running when you installed the Catalyst? Either of those could lead to a corrupted file and/or install.

If you got dialup and need to install .NET 2.0 (20ish meg download) Good luck.. reply in 3 days and 9 attempts when it completes.

Yes you need .NET 2.0 to install any fairly new ATI card. If possible in your area I would suggest looking at a broadband solution (DSL/Cable/FIOS/Directional Microwave/anything) Even in most podunk 1 horse Texas towns you can get something these days, I can't imagine the rest of the country being more backwards.

If the .NET update doesn't help, I'd suggest taking a look at your power supply. I know that your particular power supply is a very good one, however even good hardware can have a failure. It sounds very much like a power supply that is crapping out, particularly since now your 1800 is acting up. It could be that the PSU wasn't 100%, but your 1800 didn't put as much demand on it as the 2900XT did. Once the 2900XT placed a major load on it, it may have taken it out.

If you got dialup and need to install .NET 2.0 (20ish meg download) Good luck.. reply in 3 days and 9 attempts when it completes.

Yes you need .NET 2.0 to install any fairly new ATI card. If possible in your area I would suggest looking at a broadband solution (DSL/Cable/FIOS/Directional Microwave/anything) Even in most podunk 1 horse Texas towns you can get something these days, I can't imagine the rest of the country being more backwards.

QFT - I'm practically in the boondocks of Mississippi and I have a choice between DSL and Cable Modem service. I can even get cellular broadband via a cellular wireless PCMCIA card in my laptop (and it isn't outrageously expensive).

Dial-up is teh noes.

The first hint that it isnt a video card related problem is that the drivers wont install - shouldnt have much to do with the video card. You need to driver clean, or even a complete reformat.

Back