HD 201 or HD 202

I've heard 201's are better, but 202's cost 5 dollars more ... shouldn't they be better? Can anyone give me some info about the pros/cons between these two

Let me lay down my 2 cent on the HD201.

They're awesome for their price. Bass extension is great, and bass is not overkill. Highs are pretty good too, but the midrange lacks a little, but I've felt that it's gotten better through burning these babies in. They arent the most concealing headphones as far as noise leakage, but if you're listening to music, you wont hear much of anything.

Really can't beat the price/performance ratio with these.

so cal forever, have you compared them to any higher end headphones? I was looking at getting one of these sets as a gift for a nephew. He got a taste of some nice HD580s and just wants something better than the cheap headphones he has now and I though it'd be a good time to get on my sister's good side.

Skrying said:
so cal forever, have you compared them to any higher end headphones? I was looking at getting one of these sets as a gift for a nephew. He got a taste of some nice HD580s and just wants something better than the cheap headphones he has now and I though it'd be a good time to get on my sister's good side.

Not really. But if he liked the HD580s, he's bound to like these. Some people are regarding this as one of the best closed cans under $100. Tyll Hertsens from Headroom just can't stop talking about these things, either. Safe to say, these would make an excellent gift.

I visited that headroom site and it rates the 201's better than the 202's, but isn't that just performance/value ratio? I need the best performance possible because i dont care about paying 5 more dollars

there is no way im paying $200+ for some 'real' headphones .. i was looking in the range of under $60 dollars and these two looked most appealing to me

Well I was just thinking that I needed a closed headphone because my computer is a behemoth that makes my room sound like a windtunnel or something. But I just realized that I'd be getting a new computer soon.

So HD497's are the best for around $50 ?

HD497's are probably a good bet.

Anyway, ordered a pair of the HD201's for my nephew, hope he enjoys them.

HD 201 are pretty good for the price, the value is worth it, IMO, but it's not THAT great of a can. The 202 is veiled, due to it's strong bass range. I used to own the 212 pro, and the sound quality was not bad. I upgraded to the Alessandro MS-1's (Grado labs) and when i listen to my 201 i can definitely hear the lack of midrange and it sounds like i'm listening to music from behind a curtain, which is trademark senn, but i prefer the forward presentation of the MS-1.

The HD-497 is a great choice, i'd say it's "semi-open", it leaks about as much sound as my 212 did, it's a decent phone for the price.
If you're in that price range, though, you might as well consider the Grado SR-60.

Grado makes a great headphone. Just beware, some people have major, and I'm one of them, comfort issues with them. Other's find them comfortable, its a toss up.

Skrying said:
Grado makes a great headphone. Just beware, some people have major, and I'm one of them, comfort issues with them. Other's find them comfortable, its a toss up.
Agree, i can definitely see where the comfort issues come from. Add a little padding to that headband and the fit is 10x better. I had trouble getting them to fit nicely, leading to rubbing of my ears etc, but once i added a little foam to the headband... they DISAPPEARED. comfortable and a SECURE fit.

so_cal_forever said:
Not really. But if he liked the HD580s, he's bound to like these. Some people are regarding this as one of the best closed cans under $100. Tyll Hertsens from Headroom just can't stop talking about these things, either. Safe to say, these would make an excellent gift.
Nice to hear it, maybe we can start recommending them as "budget headphones" to all who inquire.

I do wonder how they compare to the HD497's though. I dare say my 580's are better but you're making me doubt my 497's :p

SJetski71 said:
Nice to hear it, maybe we can start recommending them as "budget headphones" to all who inquire.

I do wonder how they compare to the HD497's though. I dare say my 580's are better but you're making me doubt my 497's :p

Against the HD497s, they are pretty close. I liked it a little better than the HD497. But against my HD600s, it's no contest and the differences are quite apparent (as they should). But for ~$20-25, it's a damn good deal.

I have and like the hd-202s. They sound better to my ears than the $130 sony cans my friend has. Not that that's a surprise ;)

I'd go for these over open cans. The sound cancelling is pretty intense; when I just have them on with no music playing I can't hear the freezer 15 feet from me at all. If that's not what you want, look elsewhere.

I been using my HD201 for about a week and I like them because they're pretty comfortable and they have great, crisp highs BUT the bass just sucks. It's just not there and if some bass is presented, they distort. When I mean no bass, I mean my Plantronic Audio 80's had atleast twice the bass that these do. So back to newegg they go. I'm very tempted to grab the HD485's next. Hope this post helped in some way. :p

like I said earlier, I've had them for about a week. I ran them at low volume for about the first 2 hours of use. Not sure if that's how to burn them in but those are the only measures I've taken.

BUT the bass just sucks. It's just not there and if some bass is presented, they distort.
And the source is what?
Your impressions kinda puzzle me because they are just the opposite of what I hear.
(the bass is very good but the highs are recessed)

I've tried it straight from my computer, my portable CD player and from my computer through my Pioneer amp. I had my plantronic audio80's running through the same amp and the bass was awesome. I never heard them distort like these do. the 201's just don't do nearly as good in the low ranges.

Weird. I've been pleased by the HD201's lows and the highs are only so recessed. The midrange is it's weakness IMO.

so_cal_forever said:
Weird. I've been pleased by the HD201's lows and the highs are only so recessed. The midrange is it's weakness IMO.
lol. this would be the oddest problem I've had with any product if this is a defective set.

Newegg: "so what's wrong with them"

Me: "Ummm.....the frequency responses are switched." :p

Back