HBA Suggestion pls

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm running out of space on server,

MOBO: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard
MEMORY: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 80W Quad-Core Server Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP-140 RT Low Profile HTPC Heatsink
CPU Fan: Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-1 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 700 RPM - 9 dBA
Case fans: 7x Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Fan - 750 RPM - below 6 dBA
OS drive: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH120G2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HDD: 8x HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
HDD: 6x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
HBA: 2x Intel RAID Controller Card SATA/SAS PCI-E x8 8internal ports (SASUC8I)
Sata cables: 4x 3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M 1 Unit of .5M Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA Breakout Cable
Sata power: 4x Silverstone Four-in-one SATA Power Connectors with Power Stabilizing Capacitors Model CP06
PSU: Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC
CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
HDD Cages: 4x COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage

WHSv1 has been great till now as it has a 2tb limitation... and i need more space, so im probably going to move to WHS2011+flexriad, going to swap the 6x 1.5tb samsung for 8x 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000, but wondering about the HBAs, i know the SASUC8I dont support HDD over 2tb... so im searching for recommendations for HBAs that run well under WHS2011 and that can send the smart info of the hdds, another thing that my SASUC8I couldn't.

The IBM m1015 seems a very popular choice, but crosschecking if this would be the best choice to upgrade to. There is also the option of LSI 9211-8i (that i regret now not getting over the SASUC8I), and Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 (not sure if it can handle 4tb hdds).

Thanks for any advice or suggestion,

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
LSI 9211 and IBM 1015 are quite the same after reflashing the IBM ex to 9211-IT.
I would use one of them. They are also perfect if you sometime decide to try something different from Windows
(ex ZFS) where they are both the "most wanted".

But remember: These are HBA's, best suited for software-raid.
This is not the best with Windows where mostly hardware-raid is used.

Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 (not sure if it can handle 4tb hdds).

Stay away from this. I've had pretty poor luck with it, to the point its sitting on my shelf gathering dust. Even with up-to-date drivers, bluescreens every time I started CrystalDiskInfo, where the SASUC8i works flawlessly.

I'd suggest sticking with an LSI controller, though you will probably pay out the nose for it relative to other products.

I've seen this AOC-USAS2-L8i and I will be replacing my SASUC8i with these as I move out of 2TB drives into bigger ones. $140 on the egg.Seems like since you're just doing JBOD, this would work great.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've seen this AOC-USAS2-L8i and I will be replacing my SASUC8i with these as I move out of 2TB drives into bigger ones. $140 on the egg.Seems like since you're just doing JBOD, this would work great.

This is another LSI9211 alike adapter but it is UIO (left side mounted) for special SM cases:
I have them too but IBM 1015 is the same price so it is not worth the mounting action.

Thanks for all your replies,

Seems the i'll be going with the IBM m1015, the only thing that i would love is for them to come flashed with IT firmware already, i had some issues with my SASUC8I into 3 out of my 4 pcs coudlnt flash it, and the pc that did flash it was sold a couple of months ago.... so i have no way of knowing if ill be able to flash it or not. Maybe you guys know a ebay seller that can also flash them even if he charges a little more for doing it.

For windows usage you don't need to flash it, so if you can't at first you will not suffer.

I'm using my first one on windows for nearly two years now and have actually flashed it, but only to put the latest IBM firmware, not the IT LSI one.

For windows usage you don't need to flash it, so if you can't at first you will not suffer.

I'm using my first one on windows for nearly two years now and have actually flashed it, but only to put the latest IBM firmware, not the IT LSI one.

Interesting to know, thanks for sharing it. I though it was best to have them on IT even under windows and just to be a pure passthrough for sata ports and let windows control it. Maybe i was reading to much into ZFS.

That's because some other/older RAID controllers didn't really support JBOD and only allowed you to do multiple single drive RAID0s, causing compatibility troubles, but with this card there is no such problem.

Thanks for all your replies,

Seems the i'll be going with the IBM m1015, the only thing that i would love is for them to come flashed with IT firmware already, i had some issues with my SASUC8I into 3 out of my 4 pcs coudlnt flash it, and the pc that did flash it was sold a couple of months ago.... so i have no way of knowing if ill be able to flash it or not. Maybe you guys know a ebay seller that can also flash them even if he charges a little more for doing it.

It depends on the motherboard. my ASUS can't flash my 9211, so i have an old ECS motherboard that I keep around to flash and updated it. so it Hit or miss, if you have a friend with a different manufacturer tries there

Back