HBA for NAS box

I have a box that I currently use for a NAS storage with 4 1tb reds installed.

Im looking to expand this system out with a few more drives but have no more spare sata ports.

are the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 still a comparable card performance wise??

am I likely to saturate it with 6+ reds and dual gigabit bonded lan??

I would prefer 6G adapters based on LSI chipsets ex
LSI 9211, LSI 9207, IBM M1015

I own a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and it works fine, my setup with it was a windows 7 machine with flexraid installed. I went to use this card in my freenas build and it is not compatible with freenas. I ended up buying a LSI 9211-8i and flashed it to IT mode for freenas and it also works great.

Looking to do something similar except on Windows using ReFS... I am wanting to put together a nas based on the build seen here, except using an add in controller instead of the MB sata ports...but same case, MB, etc.

Is this card sufficient? Is there a better option for software raid on Windows with Refs?

http://www.amazon.com/SAS9211-4I-4P...pebp=1434993249519&perid=0JDYGDPVZ7TSWE2827KC

And an additional question... if I take me current ReFS parity storage space of 4 drives and move it from a Dell sas 6 external HBA and connected Dell md1000 jbod to an internal array on a new LSI card, will I have to rebuild the array? I did move it from one Dell jbod unit to another with no issue, but maybe this is a larger change since the card changes?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cool, thanks. As I have researched what I need more today, I think what I really want to do is put this nas in a huge tower case like the Antec 1900, but now I have to figure out how to connect that many drives. That case will not have a built in SAS backplane, and this MB only has one pci-e slot, so I cannot do the HP sas expander. I think my only hope if I go that route is to find a SAS hba with 4 internal connections to put breakout cables on. Is there a recommended one that doesn't cost big money? I guess I should keep an eye out for a used LSI SAS 9201-16i on Ebay? That my best option? If I am using Windows for a ReFS storage space, do I still need to flash it to the IT firmware? Or is that just for Znas?

Last edited:
Back