Well, I've been an avid reader of [H] forum and the Worklogs section for over 4 years now and I figured it was about time that I tried my hand at a bit of modding. I'm a US Marine currently deployed to Iraq (Since April 1st) and returning home in October. I finally have the money from this deployment to have a little fun and seeing how my Socket 939 system I have in storage is now over a year and a half old, it's time to upgrade
. Here's the stats on the system I'm upgrading from to my current plans, as well as the theme....
This will be a worklog for the project, I can not officially start piecing it together until later in the month, but I've started ordering the parts and drawing up the plans
. This will be a budgeted system, I'm trying to keep it below $1800, military paycheck isn't the best (I'll miss this hazardous duty/tax free pay). Looking to have 2 systems in one case, an Artigo PicoITX being the secondary with a 7" retractable touchscreen. The case window(s) will be custom cut acrylic with an OIF/Marine related design.
The aging system:
- Thermaltake LanBox Lite
- eVGA Socket 939 mATX 131-K8-NF44-XX (Yes, the SLI one
)
- Athlon 64 FX-53
- 2x 1gig Mushkin pc3200 ram (I think haha...been 8 months)
- 2x eVGA Nvidia 8600GT in SLI
- LiteOn DVD/CD Burner
-WD Raptor 74GB HD
-WD 320GB EIDE HD
The proposed specs (some may change, deals for some parts pending currently)
-Thermaltake Mozart TX (Thanks whodie !)
-650W OZC Modular PSU (Thanks amd4life!)
-Motherboard undecided (The main issue is whether I want to go crossfire or not as well as price)
-CPU is between an Intel QX6850 and an E8400... trying to snag the QX6850 from a [H] member but if that fails it's the E8400!
-2x2gig Corsair PC2 6400
-Visiontek HD 4870
-LiteOn Blu-Ray Drive (may get a Blu-Ray/DVD Burner...budget permitting)
-LiteOn DVD/CD Burner
-2x WD Raptor X 150GB HDs (Thanks gazorp!)
-1x 1TB HD (currently a toss up between WD and Seagate)
-Thermaltake BigWater 745 (Thanks dreamreality!)
-VIA Artigo picoITX
-Thermaltake 7" Retractable LCD (FINALLY will get some use out of this thing..had it lying around for awhile now, hope it works haha)
-Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon Tri Color Display
I will post pictures of the parts as they come (and as they are photographed by my sister/emailed to me, assuming she figures out how to use the digital camera tonight)
This will be a worklog for the project, I can not officially start piecing it together until later in the month, but I've started ordering the parts and drawing up the plans
The aging system:
- Thermaltake LanBox Lite
- eVGA Socket 939 mATX 131-K8-NF44-XX (Yes, the SLI one
- Athlon 64 FX-53
- 2x 1gig Mushkin pc3200 ram (I think haha...been 8 months)
- 2x eVGA Nvidia 8600GT in SLI
- LiteOn DVD/CD Burner
-WD Raptor 74GB HD
-WD 320GB EIDE HD
The proposed specs (some may change, deals for some parts pending currently)
-Thermaltake Mozart TX (Thanks whodie !)
-650W OZC Modular PSU (Thanks amd4life!)
-Motherboard undecided (The main issue is whether I want to go crossfire or not as well as price)
-CPU is between an Intel QX6850 and an E8400... trying to snag the QX6850 from a [H] member but if that fails it's the E8400!
-2x2gig Corsair PC2 6400
-Visiontek HD 4870
-LiteOn Blu-Ray Drive (may get a Blu-Ray/DVD Burner...budget permitting)
-LiteOn DVD/CD Burner
-2x WD Raptor X 150GB HDs (Thanks gazorp!)
-1x 1TB HD (currently a toss up between WD and Seagate)
-Thermaltake BigWater 745 (Thanks dreamreality!)
-VIA Artigo picoITX
-Thermaltake 7" Retractable LCD (FINALLY will get some use out of this thing..had it lying around for awhile now, hope it works haha)
-Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon Tri Color Display
I will post pictures of the parts as they come (and as they are photographed by my sister/emailed to me, assuming she figures out how to use the digital camera tonight)