Hawken

phOkaz

Gawd
I got a Hawken $25 Game Code with some ram I bought last week. Anyone play this game?

I do, it's pretty darned fun, especially when you actually have cooperative teammates. Major rolling ensues.

It's awesome. THe graphics look great and the audio is kickass. Controls are excellent as well. can't really complain!

I was always a bit curious about this game and wanted to try it in closed beta.

Finally gave it a run the other day and DAMN, this is UT2004 meets Mechwarrior.
Servers were a little fussy so my few games were small, but the immersion factor is huge.

The game looks sharp, the audio is rich and the gameplay is fast-paced fun all around.

Hoping to get a few bigger matches going tonight.

Yeah I've been part of the beta since it first came out...massively fun! Also, I am surprisingly good at it, and well all know a game is more fun the better you are at it! ;)

In a couple ways, particularly menus, I'd agree.

In terms of actual gameplay, no. Not one bit.

I just downloaded it yesterday because this thread reminded me to... it's fantastic!

I'm addicted..Been playingalmost a month..Spent $10 via paypal to unlock 2 mechs and have been grinding away with my reaper mech..Finally made it to level 25 last night and unlocked the sabot rifle...

I will now grind away and level the recruit "Fred" mech...Hawken is a great game and the devs support it with regular updates...Different play/match styles too...definitely worth the download

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will check it out then decide if I want to use the 25$ on it or not, if not will give it to someone for 5$ or something.

The gameplay videos and screenshots look pretty awesome though !

I am a sucker for Hawken type of FPS thingy and I liked the levels. Having vertical action is a good thing.

Too bad they couldn't fix mechs response time in the distant future when there are such fights. It's unplayable for me. Great concept, though. Remove the built in lag and I'd play a ton.

Well, its just not my type of game, played it for about an hour but it not my forte.

CARD GONE

If anyone wants to save 15$ on a future hawken purchase, I am selling the card in my FS thread

Last edited:
For the most part, imo the core gameplay of Hawken is good and fun. But it's quite obvious to many that the dev's, while talented, don't really know what they're doing in terms of balancing a competitive multiplayer shooter. Many of the updates they release are causing the community to question their actions. I haven't played in about a month and won't again until the server browser is reinstated, if I do at all...and Hawken desperately needs maps more than it needs a new mech every month. Those same maps over and over and over are becoming tiring and I don't want to get burnt out before it really even begins.

Out of curiosity I decided to check the official Hawken forums just earlier and to my surprise they have released an update a few days ago that includes the server browser, as well as another mech and a map.
...but after reading a little it seems the server browser doesn't even show the ping, and to that I say wtf! That's probably the most important piece of information that a server can display and they don't include it. Doesn't make any sense. I may very well take a longer break than I previously thought and maybe check back in the summer or fall, to see if anything of usefulness comes.

Just picked this up and have to say it's much better than I expected. Have about 3 hours in as many days and I can definitely see more maps being needed but the maps that are there are really good. Lots of detail and pretty good layouts for TDM. I love the pace of the game. Quick but you can't just pop around a corner and blow someone up completely and since it's easy to disengage with dashing you have to really consider your engagements. Hope they continue to improve as the UI needs a good bit of work.

Back